Forums are back in action! ×

I solemnly swear...

...that I am up to some good! 

That's the plan, anyhoo. I've actually lurked around here before but not got up the courage to even join up let alone post...

Before today I'd done a bit of running for a while and loved it but stopped when it got too cold/too wet/too fatally slippy on the roads and never took it up again, I'd also dabbled in aerobics classes but unfortunately could not master the art of mirroring what is right in front of me, and also bought an exercise bike.  Haven't quite got round to building it yet...also tried kickboxing for a couple of months but moved out of the area and find it pretty nervewracking going into places filled with new people, especially when there's physical contact involved (originally that sentence was "I don't like going to places where people you don't know have to touch you" which made it sound a bit bad.)

As you can see my main problems are laziness, motivation and jumping around in unison with others! And physical contact. So no salsa dancing for me, but instead of focusing on why I can't do things, I'm now focusing on what I CAN do and forcing myself to do it until it becomes habit! 

I'm taking up running again with the aim of taking part in some 5k and 10k races this year (and more if that's how things go!) get into swimming, get the free weights back out, and maybe come up with some kind of cycling routine based around episodes of Dr Who (increase incline by 10% for 10 minutes everytime the Doctor says "Allons-y!", or something...)

Looking forward to getting to know people here and sharing all these brilliant journeys with everyone :)

Branwell: Level 1, Ravenclaw Mutant Ranger 

WIS:6/STR:4/STA:3/CHA:2

Some cause joy wherever they go; others whenever they go.

I cannot live without my life, I cannot live without my soul!

Welcome to the Rebellion! I think half the battle is to find the workout that works for you, and hopefully you can fall in love with running all over again and there are many many rangers that will help you find your stride.

Also, have to give props to a fantastic Harry Potter reference.  :encouragement:

No matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch.

Hobbit Adventurer
STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 4 CON - 5.25 WIS - 5 CHA - 6.5

Thank you! And excellent stride pun, I must say 

Love a bit (and by bit I mean an extraordinary amount) of Harry Potter...maybe should incorporate it into my fitness goals - maybe a "Mischief Managed!" present after every successfully completed goal? Endless possibilities! :joyous:

Thanks tanktimus! Ultimately the goals are weight loss, improved endurance and strength... setting the short term acheivable goals seems to be a bit hard for some reason, so maybe the classic "get to running a 5k without stopping" might be a good one to start, plus trying the paleo diet for 30 days to try and get a good handle on diet...I'd like there to be some kind of swimming goal in there too but I'm not really sure what kind of goals I should be aiming for there! Aside from not drowning of course.

I really like the idea of doing the couch to 5k program, that's a definite! I will go for whatever percentage eating paleo bar one day is (70%?!) and swim twice a week. 

It's funny, when I realised there was a challenge starting today, I thought "Oh well, no time to plan or get used to the idea, might as well just start with the next challenge to come up" and that's probably a big part of my problem in the first place! Thanks again!

Archived