Forums are back in action! ×

<insert witty intro joke here />

Tomorrow = Never. So screw it. This tab has been open all day and I've had an account on here for quite a while. LOL. So here's the long and the short of it before I go back to slaving away.

Lurked on here a bit. I fall more into the "Want to not totally fail at health as I get older so why not start now and/or bulk up" category. I'm 24 and have always been very tall slender. 6'2" and about 150lbs. Been that way since as long as I can remember (aka, high school). I work at an IT desk job and don't want my health to go tits up when I hit that mid 20's mark. Bulking up is sort of the byproduct of that I guess. I could go for some upper body strength. I'm not a perfect bill of health by any means but I walk a lot, probably 40 or so blocks and (up) 10 flights of stars a day just getting to and from work, but like all things, I've found you're a lot more prone to sticking to your goals when you've got someone (ppl on here/Steve) motivating you and encouraging you.

So without further ado, here I am!

"Tomorrow = Never"

Twitter | Thingist | Challenge | Squad

Hiya, pleased to meet you!

Do you have any particular goals or activities that really peak your interest? Determination will take you far, but passion will take you farther.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Well I'm a huge geek so I'm always messing around w/ computers and Linux and stuff like that. I also DJ so I quite the fan of music as well. Right now I've got several side projects including a health/fitness related tracking website that I am working on with a friend. More on that later, when it's a bit more polished.

"Tomorrow = Never"

Twitter | Thingist | Challenge | Squad

Hey Junglizer, what's up? I'm a software engineer myself, and yea you're pretty much the minority in the field if you want to bulk up, hehe. At 6'4" I used to be about 165 at the start of college, and hitting the weight room for a bit have managed to get up to almost 210 - it just takes a while :). If you don't own a gym membership, a good place to start would be doing some bodyweight workouts that Steve has posted.. and add whatever weight you can find to do heavier amounts of lower reps. For example, placing a dumbell on your back doing pushups at home can mimic a bench press. If you do get serious about putting on some muscle, I'd recommend joining a gym for the access to dumbells and barbells. If you haven't been there before there are tons of articles on some basic exercises and how to safely perform them. Hitting these hard (think of Kratos from God of War) and keeping with it will see you great gains!

If you want to just do some quick upper body stuff (although I, like Steve, would recommend strengthening the entire body) your best bet is going to be stuff like dumbell bench presses, dips, pullups (or lat pulldowns if you can't do bodyweight yet - which takes a while to get to) and some dumbell shrugs. This would be a simple, safe way to start. To really go at it you'd want to include deadlifts and squats etc. but you want to be confident in your form for those. Anyway, hope this info helps and hope to see you progressing!