Forums are back in action! ×

<cheesey epic voice>And so it begins...</cheesey epic voice>

Hello, everyone!

I just stumbled across this site whilst searching for a good fitness forum to join/post progress/get feedback and be held accountable, etc. The community seemed like a good fit for me, so I figured I'd jump in.

I was incredibly heavy as a child and in highschool, dropped 150 pounds in college, then finished my masters, took a desk job, and promptly put almost half of the weight back on. Saturday is my 28th birthday, and my personal new years resolution is to get back to the measurements that I had in college by my 29th birthday - I'd rather judge myself with a measuring tape than with a scale.

I am terrified of gyms because they make me feel like everyone is watching and judging me, so I have purchased some weights and some fitness DVD's, and plan on starting out bright and early Monday morning with them and continuing that every Mon-Fri morning for the rest of my life *fingers crossed* Anyone with at-home fitness tips or DVD recommendations, I would LOVE to hear from you. I am also going to be starting a 30% protein, 25% fat, 55% good carbs and high fiber diet that I will hopefully be able to stick to 6 days of every week for the rest of my life. Any recommendations for cook books or recipes would also be very much appreciated.

I'm happy to be here, declaring my goals and (hopefully soon) progress, and cheering on everyone else who's here.

So here's my 1-year goal (I'm 5'1" and sort of hourglassy/pear-shaped):

Current: 36E-29-47 *cries*

Goal: 32C-22-36 *fingers crossed*

There's no time like the present :) Have you checked out the monthly challenges? They may be useful to keep you on track with your year-long goal.

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

There's no time like the present :) Have you checked out the monthly challenges? They may be useful to keep you on track with your year-long goal.

Progress is also easier if broken up into a lot of little goals. This week I'm going to do X, this month I will do X, which leads to my end result. I always remind myself that no matter what, I need to do something!

I'm assuming if you're going for that ratio of carbs that you're okay with eating wheat/processed grains? If you're having any inflammation issues/allergies/problems losing weight you might think about doing paleo or primal blueprint. I know that I've had success with it, as have others (well, as long as I actually follow it). I think that it's mainly the gluten thing, which seems to inhibit my weight loss...

I'd rather judge myself with a measuring tape than with a scale.

well, you're a step ahead of the game with this mindset :)

I am terrified of gyms because they make me feel like everyone is watching and judging me, so I have purchased some weights and some fitness DVD's, and plan on starting out bright and early Monday morning with them and continuing that every Mon-Fri morning for the rest of my life *fingers crossed* Anyone with at-home fitness tips or DVD recommendations, I would LOVE to hear from you.

what dvd's did you get? i started out my weights journey at home on my own using dvds. what level are you at? when i was at lighter weights i seriously enjoyed lifting with a body ball instead of a bench.

however, (and this is coming from someone who used to be DEATHLY afraid of the gym) i strongly suggest you get over that fear of the gym. when i first started going, i used to spend hours in front of the mirror at home practicing movements making sure my form was perfect so i didn't look like an idiot. then when i got there, i realized something: not only is no one watching you, but EVERYONE has the same fears.

oh, and welcome to the rebellion! :):)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Hey welcome aboard! Yea, at first I hesitated in the gym and worried about form, what exercises to do, and people watching me. I realized after awhile (even after I started wearing my prosthetic arm in) that people were mostly not watching, and secondly (in my case) those that did thought it was totally cool that I was working out.

As for diet, I say work measurably, and ask tons of questions. Everyone here is really cool and nice (except that rcarper dude, he's kinda a jerk until he gets coffee) and generally they can explain rather well why you might consider certain alternatives because they have results from themselves to back it up. Anyway, great to have you, and look forward to hearing more.

It's the things they do when they're NOT on the forum that's a little frightening.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins