Forums are back in action! ×

Auditioning for The Voice on Saturday

BopGun

I sang in choral groups as a kid and did a little bit of musical theater but quit all of that when I was a freshman in high school. Between my voice changing, being bullied by some of my peers and having an arrogant ass in charge of my HS's theater department who thought of me as a wad of gum stuck to his shoe, I didn't want to deal with it anymore.

All of that went to the back burner for a long time. I no longer have any desire to act, but I've been a devotee of the live music scene in my area for several years. One of the bar bands in my area (a group of three guys I'd gotten to know quite well) asked me to start singing with them. I've been with them for just over a year now. Their muscial tastes don't mesh too well with mine (they like country and '70s rock; I prefer '60s/'70s R&B/soul/funk), but I'd forgotten how much I'd loved singing and it's been a great time.

One of my bandmates, four other people from the area music scene that I know and I are piling into a Ford Excursion about 12 hours from now to audition for the next season of The Voice in Chicago. We're all auditioning Saturday afternoon, and it feels great to go to an audition for the first time in 20 years. (I had no interest in singing when I was still within American Idol's age range.)

The odds of making it onto national TV from one of these are something like 1 in 2,000. Hell, the odds are I won't even get a callback...but it's going to be fun. And kinda scary. :)

Break a leg, brother!! Enjoy yourself and do your best!

Laudabiliter -- Level 1 Mul WarriorSTR 3| DEX 2| STA 3| CON 3| WIS 2| CHA 2

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Bene Gesserit litany against fear

Just returned from Chicago. I didn't get a callback on Saturday. Ah, well. It was shocking how strong a case of performance anxiety I was hit with about a half-hour before I ended up auditioning. Nothing on the trip down, nothing that morning, nothing for the first two and a half hours of waiting in line, then at 2:30 Saturday afternoon I felt as if my groin were clamped in a vise. It was that bad. I remember flubbing a note because of it, but the production assistants my friends and I auditioned in front of may not have noticed...

...because while the other singers in the room gave me the standard polite applause upon finishing, one of the two production people turned and said to the other, "That was awesome." Then that same guy said "nice job" after the applause died down, prior to him calling up the next singer.

I say they may not have noticed my nervous flub because my song ("Superfly" by Curtis Mayfield) may have been a poor choice. The song is now more than 40 years old (1972). If it were more contemporary, the production people would have noticed a screw-up of my magnitude and certainly wouldn't have said anything to each other about any awesomeness before addressing me. :) "Superfly" is extremely well known within its musical genre, of course, but funk music fell out of fashion in the early '80s and has never really come back (hip hop basically crowded it out of the marketplace). Although their official language makes no mention of it, the producers are looking for people with tastes more contemporary than mine.

Still, I had a terrific time over the long weekend and can scratch this off my bucket list. :)

Archived