Forums are back in action! ×

Under 300

I started OMFG at around 320 or so, but I actually started trying ot lose weight in earnest at 340 (the biggest I ever was, IMO).

Today, thanks to NerdFitness and a newfound love for Paleo eating, I'm at 299.

So, what worked? How did I do that? Here's what I did:

First: eating Paleo. I can't stress enough that it made me see fast results. Yes, before that dropping out fast food and soda helped a bit, but nothing made me see results like Paleo did. I even give myself a day off usually and I'm still seeing huge results. And If I can get those kinds of results and still eat something bad for me once a week (my only rule is that it be worth it, so fast food is right out) I feel good about it as a lifestyle. No, I can't always control what I eat. But that lack of control doesn't usually hit me more often than once a week. Most of the time I'm a big boy and can handle feeding myself.

Exercise: here's what I do. YMMV. I get up in the morning (most days) and go to the gym (I belong to Planet Fitness. It's astonishingly cheap and pretty well set up). Why go to the gym and not do a workout at home? because at the gym if I say i'm going to do 2 miles, I do it. At home, I stop whenever I feel like it. Also, at the gym I can go work out, shower, dress, and go to work in a streamlined way.

So anyway, I usually go to the gym in the morning. I follow Mark Sisson's ideas pretty closely. I do easy days about 4 days a week (3 this challenge). I do strength training 2 days a week (3 this challenge) and I do sprints once a week.

If i can't make it to the gym, i do a body weight circuit at home.

Also, my office has a view of some trees behind it and a picture framed on the wall opposite my desk, so anytime I notice a bird flying around in the reflection in front of me, I do some push ups or squats in my office. Just ten and then I get back to work, but it keeps me moving all day, at least a little (right now I do the push ups leaning against the window so i can see the world outside me).

And really, that's it. I chilled out my showers, but only because it helps with dandruff (it really does, too! Try it). I haven't noticed it doing anything in particular for my metabolism after a month or so.

But I have started to do some Intermittent Fasting, just to see if it helps. I'll post about that again after I have some more experience with it.

So that's it. Now I'm, off to update my character sheet.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

Congratulations!!

You said you're doing one cheat per week. Is this a meal? Snack? And what constitutes a "cheat" for you? I'm curious because maybe I need to add a cheat and I've heard that some people go hog wild for 3-4 hours, some give themselves an entire day, etc.

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

Congradulations!! That's hardcore! I'm so glad to hear you're loving paleo. I told you you'd like it!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins