Forums are back in action! ×

Michigan Ultrarunner, Tai Chi Teacher, Freemason and Wannabe Epic Real Life Character

My name is Darin and I did my first 50 mile ultra marathon last year. This year I am thinking of doing the Midwest Grand Slam which is five 100 mile ultras in one year. My running has slowed down because I hate running in the cold and my motivation is waning. I am also starting Toyama Ryu Iaido and I am in my first year of college which is pretty good since I am 46 years old. I also taught tai chi for St John hospital for many years and was their most popular teacher.

At first I thought I should be a scout since I absolutely love running the big miles on the trails. Then I thought maybe a Ranger since I also lift weights and did a bunch of years in the Army. Of course there is my almost 30 years of tai chi experience making me think I belong in the Druids.

I looked at the points system and don't really get it. 15 points? Oh well, I love this idea of making yourself as a character and completing challenges for points. With todays smart phones and Garmin data you think you might be able to get a more accurate STR, DEX, STA and CON score than just arbitrary guesswork. 

Anyway its good to be here and thanks for making a place for nerdy folks to compare our real life characters. I have wanted something like this since I first played D&D!

I'm too late for the first challenge but I plan on entering the second one once I figure out how all this works.

Anybody have advice on points? Is this a ratio thing and only applies to myself? I might have a 5 STA but somebody else might have a 10 and I can easily outrun them?

STR: 2

DEX: 2

STA: 3

CON: 2

WIS: 4

CHA: 2

Seriously? I can run 50 miles in 11hrs 27 minutes and I have a "3" STA? Hahaha..... I guess I am used to D&D.

We do not rise to the level of our expectations in a fight.

We fall to the level of our training.

Hi Darin!  Welcome to NF! 

Thanks for your post in my Woot room thread!  I appreciate the well wishes and look forward to sharing details on my adventures in Kung Fu as they take place. 

As a fellow D&D veteran, the idea is definitely there, but as you've said, the point values don't even out the way we're all used to (10 points being +0 and so forth).  The values don't necessarily directly relate to your skills they way they would in D&D, but they are supposed to be a somewhat similar reflection - the higher the value, the better off you are in that category.  As you set your goals and pursue them and achieve, you give yourself additional points to add to those areas based on the goals you set and what you achieved during the challenge and how well you met your goal.

The points aren't so much for competition, but rather personal growth. :)  I hope that helps a bit!

The fact that you can run 50 miles alone is AWESOME!  I saw your post mentioning Chi-running.  I'm just starting to get into running, so this is definitely something I'll be looking into! Thanks for sharing!

People do bounce between or multi-class.  (I'm definitely a Monk/ Assassin based on my prior martial arts experience - Shorinryu - and my new found love of parkour/freerunning)

Also, awesome Tai-chi background!   Also the Toyama Ryu Iaido is the "single dedicated strike" with a katana then returning the sword to it's sheath, correct?  Precision, perfection, speed.  VERY cool!  When do you start? Are you doing self study?  What kind of sword are you using and where did you acquire it?  Sorry for all of the questions, but now you've got me interested!

Oh, and it's NEVER too late to start a challenge. :D

Best wishes!

- Fear

Fear, level 3 Blade Runner AssassinSTR 5|DEX 6|STA 6|CON 4|WIS 7|CHA 5

Really? I can start the challenge now?

I am learning from a Toyama Ryu Iaido teacher so its not self study and I have been learning on and off for a couple years. I don't have a sword yet. I use a wooden one so I don't cut off my own head. ;)

I need to google "parkour", I have no idea what that is but it sounds fun!

We do not rise to the level of our expectations in a fight.

We fall to the level of our training.

Wow, 50 miles. Kudos to you. Welcome! The attribute points are for personal growth, someone with 5 STR may very well be much stronger than I am, for instance. You can definitely join the challenge now, if you'd want - it'd only be for 4 weeks of course but 4 weeks > 0 weeks.

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

Archived