Forums are back in action! ×

I hope it's okay to post this here!

Since probably a large number of the community members here are pretty geeky and there is, after all, a book club forum, I thought there might be a lot of people here who don't know yet but-would-be-interested-in a pretty big fundraiser for Heifer International that ends on January 18th. For every $10 you donate through the Worldbuilders team page to Heifer, you get a ticket into their impressively huge lottery of prizes, from entire lots of books (DAW donated a copy of every book they published in 2012 as one prize, for example), to rare ARCs of popular authors, signed books, pretty books, webcomic collections, even book critiques if anyone is trying to level up a career in writing...

www.worldbuilders.org is the easiest way to find out about it, where the donate button takes you straight to the team page for chances at the lottery, auctions for a crazy variety of things (they had several book critiques which have already gone, tickets to True Dungeon, Heifer Ranch, hotel stays, rare books, etc), and a list of blog posts that have pictures and things of all the prizes that have been very generously donated... and of course explanations of how things work, where the money goes, what Heifer International is for those that haven't heard of it, and so on.

Last year, the goal was a pretty ambitious feeling $250k, and when it was passed, this year's became $500k. It's pretty crazy, but after I made some silly brochures at work to show people I knew, I was left feeling like, "I just don't really know any people that are into this kind of stuff." No one really reads sci-fi or fantasy around here, or games much, and I don't know any fellow browncoats in the area. Tonight I thought, "Oh, duh." So if anyone is interested in helping out Heifer International helping other people and winning awesome prizes from Worldbuilders, head over to www.worldbuilders.org .

Oh! I almost forgot, for book lovers and pin-up lovers, at their Tinker's Pack store they have a 2013 "literary pin-up calendar" for sale that's got illustrations of popular book characters or at least "inspired by the works of" things, from Bradbury to Gaiman to George RR Martin. Check 'em out.

(Sorry if this should go somewhere else!)

(PS, they have a facebook page somewhere, but it's, you know. Over there. In facebook land. I dare not enter.)

(PPS I am not a part of this organization, I just meant we as in, you know, people who participate and hope for wonderfully amazing things coming of it.)

Archived