Forums are back in action! ×

Hey there everyone.

I'm new here (clearly) but I love the fitness lifestyle. I love the site, the articles, everything about it. SO much more interesting than typical "only eat half a grapefruit for breakfast to lose weight" kinds of websites. Because I am NOT looking to lose weight. While I've been conditioned to react a certain way to a certain number on the scale, I'm realizing that it doesn't mean much. I've been gaining muscle. The most important thing is losing FAT and getting STRONG. And I've realized that ya just cant do that on less than 1400 calories a day! So now, my new mantra is: 'eat like a horse, train like a gladiator, sleep like a baby, and dress like a lady!' :)

I wish I could say I made that up but alas, I did not haha. BUT I know that I get crabby when I don't eat enough, so much of my new training philosophy stems from my love of food and wanting to be able to eat enough. And I LOVE lifting weights, so I'll just work out harder and it'll all be great! And I'm a college student so I clearly love sleep...as much of it as I can get, that is. And I love to dress up. Nothing like a nice little surprise for the boys when I can out-arm wrestle them while wearing frills and sequins! :D

So my family and I are going to Hawaii at the end of March, so my 3 goals until that point: (I knowww it's longer than 6 weeks but then my goal runs parallel to the length of my academic term/quarter remaining and it's just a lot simpler that way):

1) Workout 5-6 days per week, alternating weights legs/weights arms/cardio and crazy abs, with gentle yoga on Sunday mornings.

2) Get 7+ hours of sleep per night (I actually have a calculated sleep need of 10-11 hours, but I'm at university and studying nuclear deterrence in international relations soooo..yeah no not gonna happen!)

3) Drink 5+ bottles (Lululemon waterbottle size) of pure water every day - not including tea and coffee (2 cups max, with 1 extra bonus cup of decaf if I need the taste).

I have a bunch more goals than that but those are the most attainable and measurable.

Wish me luck!! :)

(And PS - I know machines aren't necessarily encouraged on this site, but I had a major nerve reconstruction operation near my shoulder last June and am not allowed to do any body-weight, weight bearing, full body, jumping, running or otherwise strenuous "non-controlled" exercises. I miss my squat jumps!)

Sounds like a good plan, and if you have nerve issues, the machines are better than the nothing you'd otherwise be able to do. Will you be able to go back to unrestricted exercises at some point?

Welcome to the rebellion.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

So now, my new mantra is: 'eat like a horse, train like a gladiator, sleep like a baby, and dress like a lady!' :)

I love that!  Welcome to the Rebellion and thanks for the anecdote!  Are you signed up for the 6 Week Challenge?  I found the site a little late to start the last one so this is my first, and it's hard actually restricting myself to the goals (I kind of have a tendency to want to try everything at once).  The Challenges are a good way to keep yourself accountable to your goals.  Good luck!

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Lydieboo's Do or Die Winter Challenge

Hey! Thanks for the welcomes! To reply to the question of whether I'll eventually be able to do functional exercises...I hope so. I actually really hate chin ups, but I wouldn't mind doing some pushups (or YOGA!!) and I miss being able to bench press like the boys (or arm wrestle properly..or do barbell squats, etc. etc.)

I'm not signed up for the 6 week challenge yet, as I just missed the deadline by a week, but I'm doing my own informal "preparation" challenge, and I'll sign  up for the next one! One of my biggest obstacles will be finding balance and finding time to do everything (school, sleep, work, social events (need more of this!!), healthy eating, more sleep haha...)

Anyways, I'm off to my wonderful college dining hall prepared grilled chicken breast and spinach salad. Weooo I'm really excited if you can't tell. Maybe I'll throw a banana in there, keep things interesting haha

Archived