Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from Washington state

Hi all, my name's Michael. I'm a professor/university administrator/sometime personal trainer. Since my geek and jock tendencies tend to run neck and neck (with geek usually edging out jock...by a good margin, actually LOL) this site is like a little slice of nirvana for me.

I've been lifting off-and-on for the last 20 years, really intensely for the last 9. I've also recently started to get into savate, wing chun and jeet kune do. I'd be happy to help anyone with any questions they might have about working out (although I'm sure there are many on these boards just as, or more, qualified than I), or about the intricacies of the Klingon language ;)

Looking forward to participating :)

The greatest weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed - Steven Biko

Uma coisa é você achar que está no caminho certo, outra é achar que seu caminho é o único (It is one thing to believe you are on the right path; it's yet another to believe yours is the only path) - Paulo Coelho

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/dtayq

Hey Michael! Glad to have you! I am ashamed to say I recognize none of savate, wing chun and jeet kune do. Thats just sad. When you're not doing secret martial arts, what do you do for fitness activities? If you have any short-term goals you're working on, please feel free to join our 28 day Challenge, starting on the 7th. It's a fun way to meet people and support your wingmen!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Hahahaha, "secret martial arts" is pretty awesome lol. Savate is French kickboxing, wing chun is an offshoot (in a way) of Kung Fu, and jeet kune do is a sort of hybrid martial arts philosophy developed by Bruce Lee. I do those things as an adjunct to my regular lifting schedule (3-5 x week...3 right now as I'm doing a Waterbury full body program after having done a cycle of German Volume Training) and playing soccer and football on occasion.

As for goals, I was going to compete in a fitness/bodybuilding show this year and was training for that, but I decided I didn't want it enough to justify the entry fee LOL. THE 28 day challenge sounds fun, I may just do that. Thanks for the recommendation :)

The greatest weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed - Steven Biko

Uma coisa é você achar que está no caminho certo, outra é achar que seu caminho é o único (It is one thing to believe you are on the right path; it's yet another to believe yours is the only path) - Paulo Coelho

Welcome to the boards, bud. That is a purely WIN picture you have there.

Thanks! I was going to go work out at a nearby park, and my buddy, who happens to be a photographer, was around and so I was seized by a moment of vanity and asked him to take pics of my workout LOL