Forums are back in action! ×

I've got six months to make my biggest fitness goal of 2013 happen.

ZeldaZonk

Hi there,

My name is Chelsea and I'm new here. I've been reading over a lot of the topics and posts, and I really love seeing how supportive and influential everyone is here with other members trying new things and reaching their goals.

I have six months to make my biggest fitness, and also one of my biggest personal goals of 2013 happen. I'd love any input or strategies for success that anyone has to offer.

In my Introduction post, I talked about how before my pregnancy I was an entertainer at Universal Studios, and how I'd now settled in to a lazy desk job lifestyle, not doing much of anything. I still casually work events for Universal... one of my favorites being the infamous "Halloween Horror Nights." It's what I live for every year. It's given me some incredible memories. How many people can say they've been paid to chase people around with a chainsaw? Halloween Horror Nights also has a stage show called "Bill and Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure." It an awesome comedy variety show where the Wild Stallions come out and rip on all the crappy pop culture that's surfaced during the current year. At the end of the show, all the characters come out half dressed and dance around. This is my problem. Every year I've auditioned for the show, I've made it to the call backs. And then... they make you dance. I mean, really dance.  They don't give you a lot of time to learn the dance. And I always fail, in an epic way. For example, last year I was in an audition room of 40 fellow call back attendees. We danced once. I was THE ONLY one sent home. Talk about sucking. It's not so much the moves, though they are difficult. It's the speed. I can't keep up. I end up out of breath and red faced by the middle of the choreography. I just can't keep up.

So auditions are in six months... I have to be able to pick up choreography quickly, massively improve my cardio endurance, and get my waistline down to look decent in one of these skimpy outfits. 

I'll probably end up going to some dances classes closer to the audition, but until then.. I'd like to brainstorm some ways to make significant improvements in my cardio, by doing something other than running. Any help would be massively appreciated. 

Oh! And here's a link to the show I'm referring to. It's the Hollywood, not Orlando version... But the concept is still the same. 
Thank everyone,

Chelsea

I almost want to dislike you because Halloween Horror Nights literally gave me nightmares the first and only time I ever went.

But, I loved the Bill & Ted's show and I think that is a kick ass goal so I can't :)

I don't have too much advice but to work on your endurance - maybe actually take up a hip hop dance class. 

Letting go is the hardest asana. 

Instagram: WholeBodySwoleHeart

I almost want to dislike you because Halloween Horror Nights literally gave me nightmares the first and only time I ever went.

But, I loved the Bill & Ted's show and I think that is a kick ass goal so I can't :)

I don't have too much advice but to work on your endurance - maybe actually take up a hip hop dance class. 

Hey that means we did our job! :)

Thank you for your support though!

Martial arts/boxing? Would be good for speed and coordination. And I'd take as many different dance classes as you can, just to practise picking up new skills. Yoga/pilates great for strength and flexibility.

And for straight cardio, try interval training rather than just running.

Second the interval training. Running sprints (e.g. rounds of 1 min sprint, 2 mins recover (starting with shorter bursts if you prefer)) would work really well for this.

Martial arts sparring would also actually be ideal, but sprints might be more accessible if you don't want to dedicate the time to MA (since it would involve a lot of components other than straight sparring).

Always kick higher

If you have gym access, you might want to see if they offer... um... whatever the current fad for dancing exercise is.  (Is it still Zumba?) 

Way back in the day, when I was in a step aerobic class, these were the benefits:

building cardio/endurance

learning the names of specific "steps" or "moves"

learning how to move around in a room full of people moving around

practice at doing "steps" as the instructor called them out / mirroring the instructor

practice at learning the routine as the instructor built it (some built a new one per class, some built a new one over the course of a week.  It was a bit like that old game Simon.)

I guess if a class isn't an option, you could look for dancercis-ish videos, and get a lot of the same benefits.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

If you have gym access, you might want to see if they offer... um... whatever the current fad for dancing exercise is.  (Is it still Zumba?) 

Way back in the day, when I was in a step aerobic class, these were the benefits:

building cardio/endurance

learning the names of specific "steps" or "moves"

learning how to move around in a room full of people moving around

practice at doing "steps" as the instructor called them out / mirroring the instructor

practice at learning the routine as the instructor built it (some built a new one per class, some built a new one over the course of a week.  It was a bit like that old game Simon.)

I guess if a class isn't an option, you could look for dancercis-ish videos, and get a lot of the same benefits.

Good suggestion. :) Thanks! I'll look in to one!

Also, don't forget that the gym isn't the only place you can work on this stuff.

If you've got an Xbox and a Kinect, consider picking up one of the many Dance games available and commit to spending an hour playing it a day (depending on how old your kid is, they're either likely to join you or at least be amused by you!) Another home-workout possibility are programs like P90X... and whatever the rest of 'em are called.... at any rate, there are a lot of those kinds of DVDs out there and most of them have cardio-specific portions. Again, pop that in your player and commit to an hour of it a day.

Pure running is a great conditioner, but I'm going to recommend instead that you focus on whole-body workouts that increase your heartrate because your goal is a whole-body deal: no sense in having great-feeling legs during the dance while the rest of your muscles start screaming for a break 3 minutes in.

After all, the best way to get better at something is to do it.

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Zumba. It has kicked my @$$. I have a Kinect but there are also a bunch on youtube. 10 minutes in I am usually dripping sweat, out of breath, and my abs hurt the next day.

Also, yoga. It will make you more aware of your body, add upper body and ab strength, and help with breathing. Look for a flow class as it will help the most with learning choreo. Flexibility is a bonus.

this one is horrible in a good way, but you may need a more introductory course first. A class is a good place to start to learn the poses and make sure you don't hurt yourself.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

Archived