Forums are back in action! ×

Let's Do This Thing!

This is a late introduction. I discovered Nerdfitness back in December and have really enjoyed the information provided about fitness and workouts for regular people like us. The Epic travel part has been an added bonus. How cool is that?

Anyway, I'm just a regular guy approaching the age of 40 with a wonderful family and a job that I love. Along with that...I'm out of shape. At least I was until I discovered a coulple of thing in December: Crossfit for my workouts and Nerfitness for my inspiration/motivation. I feel like I'm in my infancy when it comes to increasing my fitness level...but the important thing is that the journey has started. And I'm committed.

So let's do this thing!

Welcome fellow Northwesterner! Which crossfit group are you with? I'm not even sure I'm physically prepared to watch a crossfit workout, much less participate :D

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

Thanks for the welecome, fellas. Love the Leeeeeroy Jeeeeenkins reference, kahn265. And a fellow Crossfitter, too. I'm still a neophyte, but love the challenge. It really has changed the way I think about working out.

Gowaduv...nice to hear from someone local within the rebellion. This is a cool site. I must admit, I learned of Nerdfitness when KIRO radio had Steve Kamb on the Dave Ross show to talk about the $418 trip around the world. But I was most inspired by the fitness info. I started doing Crossfit downtown seattle at the Xplorecrossfit. I was intimidated by it at first, but two months in now...and I love it. I have to modify many of the workouts, but continue to get better with practice.

Hey man! Welcome! I've yet to do crossfit, but I love their philosophy. It's just inspiring. Good on you for deciding to commit to it! Has your diet changed at all since you started? I swear, when people start moving, their bodies automatically start wanting better fuel. The first day I actually craved broccoli was a happy day for me. :P

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Hey Alethea! Yes...diet. That has also changed with the new workout regime. I've adopted a mostly Paleo diet. Lots of chicken, fish, veggies, fruits, nuts, etc. It took some getting used to...I was a bread lover before. But after two months, I've really adjusted to the better fueling. I think the diet change has had a bigger impact on my fitness level than the workouts. It's the first time in my life I've ever combined good diet with a strong workout schedule. In the past it was one or the other.

Nice, Hawk, good to hear! If you come across any good recipes you're obligated to pass them around. Regardless of wether the chicken or the egg came first, they both get kinda boring after a while :P

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins