Forums are back in action! ×

Hey folks! I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now, so I figured I'd better get around to saying hello. I ran across Nerd Fitness via the article about Jamie Bamber's workout, and I have to say that it just about the most awesome idea ever. (And yes, ok? I was Googling Jamie Bamber. It was BSG-related...mostly...I swear!)

As far as fitness goes, I'm not that overweight, but I am definitely out of shape. I loved sports in high school, but after a couple of leg injuries put me in a wheelchair/on crutches for the better part of two years, I just never went back. I joined gyms and tried to get back into fitness a few different times during college, but it just never stuck.

Now, though, I think I've finally found my motivation. I'll be applying to medical schools next year, and while I'm not sure whether I want to yet, I'd like to have the option of letting the military pay for my training. Right now, I am most definitely not in good enough shape to be an Army Captain. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'd drop dead if I attempted a 5k. Plus, you know...surviving the zombie apocalypse is a pretty awesome motivator, too. ;)

In terms of nerdiness...where to begin? I'm not a programmer type, but I'm just about everything else. I'm a big sci-fi and fantasy girl: Doctor Who, BSG, anything Whedon, Tolkien, Rowling, Lovecraft, George R. R. Martin...the list goes on. I'm also a gamer. RPGs - both computer and tabletop - are my first love, but I also love me some FPS. (There's nothing like a few zombie headshots to take the edge off a bad day.) Also, I can sing the credits song from Portal from memory, for what that's worth.

ETA: I can't believe I left off Charles Stross! He's absolutely my favorite sci-fi (/whatever else exactly it is that he writes) author at the moment.

"Honestly, I think the world's gonna end bloody. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't fight. We do have choices. I choose to go down swingin'."

ooooh, Another person to gush about books with! Tell me, on a scale of 1 to ZOMG, how excited are you for the GRRM TV series coming out in April?

Welcome! 2 years off your feet! I'm going on 6 months (JUST got the bloody cast off), and I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been. You are a trooper. Is your long term goal to be able to pass the US army fitness tests, or is that just a happy bonus? What kinda active stuff appeals to you?

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

(robots and space aliens are also a consideration).

Definitely! And with Watson winning Jeopardy, I figure we're due for the Robot Revolution any day now.

That game had me addicted until I finished it. I love Jonathan Coulton, the guy who wrote the credits song for Portal. Skullcrusher Mountain is my favorite!

I was ridiculously proud of myself for finishing Portal without resorting to looking up hints. And I love Coulton!

I take it since you like Portal, you are also a HL2 fan?

I am a big HL2 fan! Love Alyx ;)

ooooh, Another person to gush about books with! Tell me, on a scale of 1 to ZOMG, how excited are you for the GRRM TV series coming out in April?

Ohhh, yeah...you like books, I'm your girl. And yes, "ZOMG" would be about right. The trailers I've seen so far look amazing, and the casting looks perfect. The movie (er, miniseries) is never as good as the book, but I'm expecting good things.

It wasn't two years straight, and I wasn't completely off my feet the whole time. But it was close enough that after my surgery for Injury #1, I was only cleared to play sports again about three months before I frakked up both my ankles in a car accident (Injury #2). Man, remember when crutches looked like so much fun (i.e. before you were the one who needed them)?

The military fitness tests are just a happy bonus, since I'm far from certain I even want to go that route. I don't have a really solid longterm goals yet, so I suppose I should probably set some. I hate running, but I want to be able to run at least a 5k without dropping dead, so I guess that's a medium-term. At some point, I'd love to take classes in krav maga or something along those lines, but that will have to wait until I can afford to pay for them.

"Honestly, I think the world's gonna end bloody. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't fight. We do have choices. I choose to go down swingin'."