Forums are back in action! ×

Not exactly new here...

Since I've been lurking since May last year.  I used to be quite fit when I cycled eight miles each way to work and couldn't afford unhealthy food, then I got a better paying job closed to home (it's terrible, honest ;)) and my fitness suffered for it.  I didn't realise how much until I went larping in Germany in 2011 (Drachenfest and Conquest of Mythodea) and after the first week of running around a field hitting people with bits of rubber I was exhausted.  I keep telling myself the insane heat had something to do with my exhaustion in week 2, but it was also that I'm no longer as fit as I once was.  I stumbled across Nerd Fitnes about that time and have been making periodic attempts to become fitter ever since.  2012s excursion to the same events saw me fare better but still not well enough, and when I came back I forgot about my working out amidst the stress of buying a house.  So now I'm starting me next attempt to get fitter.  I try to make the attempts better each time I try them and this time I'm going to be seeking motivation and accountability from a wider group than before.  No one I know locally seems to be interested (if you're in the soulless town of Milton Keynes feel free to get in touch, alternatively gain bonus points if you've only read about is in Good Omens) and the friends I've sought accountability from on the internet have been flaky.

Anyway, I'll be lurking here more actively now while I try to work my way through the basic training from the strength guide and looking out for people who might want to share motivation.  Until then I just watch the Nerdfitness TV channel.

On the geeky side I've been all over the place.  I started out with Star Wars and extended universe Star Wars books when I was young, I still own pretty much all of them from the X Wing series through to the stuff that got really weird with the Yuuhzan Vong!  From there I moved to Dragonlance books and computer games, playing RTS, FPS and RPGs, Baldur's Gate II consumed most of my gap year!  At university I got into tabletop roleplay (I mostly play D&D and Unknown Armies) and LARP; I still do both but not at much as I used to and will hopefully be running a LARP event later this year (http://www.mythlorenewlands.com/).  After uni I got into World of Warcraft (having been a fan of the RTS games for years) and still love the world, although I no longer play the MMO I'm running a Warcraft roleplay game for a group of friends.  Now I mostly read sci-fi, fantasy and popular science books and I'm looking forward to turning one of the rooms in my new house into a library.

Any ideas for decorating a library gratefully received! ;)

Archived