Forums are back in action! ×

A Greek living in China says Hi

Hey everyone!

I'm psyched to join this community. My name is Yannis, I'm 31 years old living a happy life in Beijing with my lovely wife Kim. My story is pretty long so I'll just lay things down simply: I've got a great job in early childhood education, making a pretty good living so Kim has a chance to follow her dream of being a fashion designer, I'm that much closer to calling myself an intermediate guitarist and my skills in Chinese are shaping up nicely. Nothing could be better but there's one thing missing and it bugs me...a lot:

I'm overweight.

I hate myself for it, honestly, because I used to be a lean mean karate machine. I participated in many karate tournaments and won plenty of medals in my prime. I had a pretty impressive six pack going too. At age 21 though I was diagnosed with a bulging disc at the lower back region. Just a slight bulge really but it messed up my martial arts career and my confidence. Long story short, I gained weight, went on-and-off fitness and stopped watching my diet.

At some point in recent times I started making lifestyle changes and started the couch to 5k program. It all went great until my back started acting up. My doctor said running, cycling and other high impact workouts are out of the question. Swimming seems to be my only alternative.

But is it? This is what I'm here to find out, along with other exciting possibilities. I want to get fit, lean and sexy. No more BS -if I'm allowed to say that here. I'm considering the Paleo Diet so now what I need is a good swimming regime and strength training that fits my condition, if possible.

Once again glad to be a part of the crew! Looking forward to meeting new people and share success stories with you all!

-Yannis

Injuries like that are tough. Looks like you've looked past it to find the things you still can do so you can rock them, which is great. Welcome to nerd fitness, we look forward to having you.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Hey there fellow guitarist! Welcome to the rebellion. I'm also on my way to becoming an intermediate player. Worst part is those beginner ruts that seem to have no end. Good luck with all your goals and ambitions! :D

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Archived