Forums are back in action! ×

HEY LADIES! How do you find clothes that fit? I needs help.

They are arbitrary, yes. But it still keeps sizing consistent across brands -- more or less. If I'm a size 9 in one brand, chances are that's what I'll be in most other brands.

I couldn't care less what "size" I am though. I just want to find something that is flattering on me, then get the hell out of the store.

i detest vanity sizing. (warning, long ramble)

but there have been studies done saying that if we have two pairs of pants in front of us, both fit, both look great, and one is a 2 and one is a 4, we will purchase the 2.

There are also studies being done on the effect of vanity sizing on culture and obesity. For example, if a clothing brand makes their size 6's bigger, to be the equivalent of what last year's size 8 was (to make people feel better about themselves for wearing smaller sizes) when you go to buy a new pair of pants, you'll convince yourself that you are the same, because you take the same size, when in reality, you're heavier.

The whole 'size zero' is also a huge problem in general.

here sizes are odd for juniors, even for misses and women's.

some brands are starting to actually number the jeans like mens, but - looking at sizing charts, a size "27" should actually be a "29"

and not only is it different for every brand, but if you take a 1 in juniors, you probably will not take a 0 or a 2 in women's.

There are some juniors brands I take 7's in. Some I take 1's. As for women's sizes, if I sometimes have a problem finding a pair that is small enough at all, due to the fact that they either don't carry 2's and 0's OR they've changed the sizing so much that the size I need is just no longer made.

And for the record, everyone: I SHOULD NOT take a size 0. According to this:

http://www.rodcollins.com/wordpress/what-dress-size-or-waist-size-am-i-really

I should really take an 6-8.

Something I've noticed, too:

Less expensive brands are more likely to have huge vanity sizes than more expensive brands.

And where they are sold makes a huge difference too.

I have 2 pairs of jeans, same brand. one is a 1, one is a 7. They are both "boot cut". I bought the size 7 at Macy's, and the size 1 at Wal-Mart. i know style makes a difference on what size you take, but it shouldnt be the difference of that many sizes.

sigh.

end rant. :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I sometimes can't find a size small enough for me at old navy but otherwise I usually wear a 4 or sometimes a 6. I think women's sizes are so crazy because we accept having a set of proportions forced on us. Men would not accept that if their inseam length was X, their waist SHOULD BE Y, so their pants have options for both. Similarly, in their dress shirts, they are not going to put up with being told that if their neck measures one size, their sleeves MUST BE however long. Their clothes accomodate varying builds. Women will be the first to tell you that at whatever height, they should be whatever girth. We may not quite do it to ourselves but we sure go along with the mindset of the people who do it to us. I can fit in a kids' 14 plus or a men's 28 waist pants if they run small enough. In 501's I always buy a 30x30 without trying them on. They have to be cuffed but it works. I have a thick waist compared to my hips (not a gut, just a thick waist - women whose hips and ribs are closer together always have wider waists, weird but true and can't be helped.) and broad shoulders compared to my chest. It's never going to be easy to find clothes for that. Low cut pants used to thrill me so much because since they don't go up to my waist, I could just buy the size that fit my hips. My calves are throwing that whole system now.

At least it's nearly shorts weather down here now. I'll get a few easy months out of that.

"The future will be different if we make the present different."

Peter Maurin

Yeah, I hate the balance of having to choose between a pant that fits at the waist and one that is the right length (it's not just a matter of hemming the pants, either, it has to do with shaping of the pant leg). I've learnt to tailor my own clothes, since it's easier, especially for shirts. Larger shirts work for larger arms, but they're also made for people with larger breasts. If your proportions don't match those the clothing company uses, you're screwed.

I do like getting pants from Lands End, though, since they have a lot of pants where you can chose your waist and inseam separately.

"It is not childish to live with uncertainty, to devote oneself to a craft rather than a career, to an idea rather than an institution." -Mamet

Larger shirts work for larger arms, but they're also made for people with larger breasts.

The latter issue has never been a problem for me. I wish it was, I envy the ladies who can get away with something other than D and larger sizes! Try finding bras that fit and hold things in place if you are very large. IF I am lucky, I can find a bra that fits on sale for something like $50 each. If I do I tend to buy 4-5 of them and hold them in stash until needed. Right now I'm loving a Glamorise model designed for "active Women" I wear them all the time for everything.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1