Forums are back in action! ×

mHannes

Hello everyone !

As one of my goals I want to visit South Korea "SOMEDAY" (within the next 3 years !!!).

My plan is to either go on vacation (but as a student I don´t have THAT much money I guess ^^) 

or absolve my future Master-thesis (I think it will be something around plastics, engineering-wise or natural science-wise).

So now I need advise. From April to September I will do my bachelor-related practical semester in Belgium (Diepenbeek ... HELLO MAYBE SOME OF YOU COME FROM AROUND HASSELT OR DIEPENBEEK ! :D ) so I will be kind of "used to" being abroad.

But I think going to a country like South Korea will be kind of strange or difficult because of the incredibly different culture (is it THAT different ?) or *way of life*.

O.K. I´m talking so much ..... 

What I actually wanted to know is if there are some of you that actually live or lived (maybe as exchange student or something ?) in South Korea to get in contact with so I can wreck your nerves with annoying questions (^^) or even learn some basic Korean language. (if there´s the time and if you just want to of course)

Then: If someone had the same idea as me, what problems did you kinda have ? (like with visa and/or money [i.e. how much did it cost and so on]) and is there like a "specific" area that I should go to (like Seoul or Incheon or or or....)

just to say: Even if I will be kinda working there (when I travel for the Masters-Thesis) I´d like to not just move to the "most western part or area" to not feel homesick or anything. When I go abroad I want to get to know the foreign culture and the food and anything possible to soak up.

So .. yeah I hope this thread kind of belongs to this forum ^^

Hope there is someone or someone who knows someone :D (if not it´s not that bad either, then I just have to find out for myself)

Have an awesome day everyone !!!

NOTE: I will update this thread every time I get to know something more specific about "how and when I´m going to really really go to South Korea" or if anything interesting happens or smth. that others would maybe like to know as well.

"With great power comes great responsibility"

Oh! Oh! I live in South Korea :D I can answer your questions!! (Haha, I'm enthusiastic to help, SK is awesome).

So, I've lived about an hour south of Seoul for a year, and am just returning for another year. 

When are you thinking of coming? Seasonal considerations are a bit important in SK - winter (late Nov - Early March) is very, very cold. Summer (June-early sept) is very hot and humid. Spring and fall are gorgeous.

The cost of living in Korea is very cheap, if you eat like a Korean. Housing is also cheap if you don't want to live in a super trendy area (I'm talking $300-600 a month - yes a month!). However, the process can be a bit different from what we're used to in the west. I won't write it all up here, let me know if you're thinking of renting. I have a friend I can get some contact details from if you want - she lived in a more 'western style' rent arrangement :)

I recommend learning to read Korean (hangul) before you arrive. It's really easy. It's not necessary, but it does make life a little easier. You don't need to be able to speak Korean if you don't want to. In Seoul just about everything (like public transport) is in English as well as Korean.

As far as visas go: you can get a 90 day tourist visa on entry. If you're actually studying at a uni, you can look into getting a student visa, but I don't know anything about them :) You can also get a D10 visa, which is a 'looking for work' visa that lasts 6 months. You'd have to ring your nearest Korean consulate or embassy to find out about that because the requirements for me are different than you :)

If you don't want to live in the most western area avoid anywhere trendy or near a military base. Definitely avoid Itaewon if you're looking for a more Korean experience. Gangnam and Hongdae (Hongik University) are pricey areas too, though are neat to visit. I'd give Incheon a miss as it's all the way out the end of the subway line, and actually takes ages to get to central Seoul.

Um, um, what else? I dunno. I'm happy to answer any questions you have :) PM me, or post them here.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Wow, something on these boards I know something about!

I spent 2 and a half years in South Korea - I mainly lived around the outskirts of Seoul but I would endeavour to get out and away into the country proper when I could.

If you're worried about culture shock then don't be.  The major cities are all a decent mix of western and Korean culture, and it is definitely more westernised than the other asian cities I've been to (possibly except Hong Kong).  If you need any second opinions then I'm available - but my intel is about 8 months out of date.

Sambalina - whereabouts did you live? I spent 18 months in Yong-in and a year in Bundang.

My old school was in Yong-in, but right down the bottom WAY out of the main city area. I'm in the Osan area, working in Suwon.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to jump in. My Husbeast just got stationed in SK about a month ago, and I'm going to go visit him for a week or so in October. The fact that the kids and I couldn't move there with him still sucks, but I'm (mostly) over it now. Right now I'm learning a few phrases like hello, please, thank you, etc. So, ummm, yeah. Nothing much to contribute. :)

Level 1 Half-Elf Adventurer

STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Challenge 1

Hey Vostastic! Where about will you be visiting? October is one of the nicest months here - still sunny and warm, but the awful heat and humidity drop considerably.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Sambalina - We really don't have any concrete plans. We won't have the kids with us, so we're going to be adventurous! :D As of now we are planning to stay in a hotel on Yongsan Army base and explore Seoul. I want to go up to visit where he works near Dongducheon, and I was told to go shopping near Osan AFB. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions!

Level 1 Half-Elf Adventurer

STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Challenge 1

Archived