Forums are back in action! ×

My longest skiing ever

I am Eve

I just finished 20 kilometers in about 2,5 hours, beating the record of 14 from a few weeks ago. Very proud, tired and slightly nauseous (could be from all the water I drank afterwards. I only started Xcountry last year so I'm pretty pleased!!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Nice one - whereabouts are you racing? I did a months training in Norway in Nov-Dec last year, it was fantastic cardio and really satisfying when you get the technique right! we did a couple of races, a Classic and a 15Km Biathlon, its mega but you will be in bits by the end!! Hope it goes well, when is it?

I'm doing the shorter version of Vasaloppet (Kortvasan) on Feb 22 (if I don't chicken out before).

It's such a great workout including upper and lower limbs..

One of my greatest challenges is going downhill - that makes me nervous and I slow down. So that's what I'm targeting at the moment.

So, are you skiing right now?

hah yeah that was my drama too, steep hills and spindly skis!! the only way around it is to commit and be loose i found, tuck in, knees bent and try to enjoy through the terror!! 

Im not skiing anymore no, i had to go bak to work, but my team competed in Austria, France and Germany so im a little jealous of them!! 

That's so true and that's what I'm trying. Remembering that the "hills" I found scary at first are not "hills" anymore at all  :rolleyes-new:

And with bent knees the ground is closer and the fall not so big....

I had a look at your present challenge and wanted to wish you luck!

I bike all year round and use spiked wheels: they're a must!

Its good once you get used to a route or hill isnt it! Its pretty funny after the fact when you have fallen, snow covered and kit everywhere!! had a few funny moments when there is an ice patch on the hill, that gets a little hairy!! 

Have you cracked the whole waxing deal yet? its very annoying when it comes off half way around your route!

Thank you by the way, i think im gonna need all the luck i can get for this challenge, its getting very tiring and im only in week 5 of training! Off out for a run, good luck with skiing this weekend!

Speaking of falling, I STILL can't get out of quickly brushing off the snow and checking whether  I was seen before I clench my teeth and continue  :mushroom: . This week I was practicing in a slope I find scary and managed to 1) not intentionally slow down and 2) get back in the tracks after they went bad.....

Oh yes the waxing....I fortunately have a consultant at home and we have this deal that I'm the IT consultant and he does the waxing. It's a very good deal and I strongly recommend it.

It's not "only" week five, it's already week five and you're awesome :onthego:

My partner got up early - he's doing a trial race today of 42 k's - I'm lucky enough to have tracks within walking distance so I'll do my bit later today.  Did 13k's yesterday and felt fine. I bought new poles after being told by two people that they looked long. It did make a big difference. :redface:  

Archived