Forums are back in action! ×

Hey guys, new recruit here. I'm Michelle and I'm from New England. I stumbled across the blog last month and really like the approach it takes, so now I'm joining the forums.

Background/goals: I played ultimate frisbee all through high school. Because of that I'm fast, have good endurance, and am flexible. I'm in college now and my main goal is to maintain that endurance and agility, so I'm going to be pursuing the assassin class.

I'm not playing ultimate this year, but I've gotten back into climbing, which made me realise the thing I need to work on most is strength training. I think one of the dangers of being a girl is that, often, the goal of exercise/dieting is just to lose weight/look good in a dress, so while my friends will go running with me, very few will strength train. Aside from rock climbing, I really notice my lack of upper body strength working in carpentry (for behind the scenes, theatre-y stuff). It's embarrassing to have ask a guy for help because I can't lift something.

The other thing I want to try is Parkour. I've got a lot of the basics down from working backstage, since we're always doing things like balancing on the backs of chairs (or running on them. That took a few tries to get right), playing on scaffolding, and jumping over road cases, but I'd like to get better at it.

"It is not childish to live with uncertainty, to devote oneself to a craft rather than a career, to an idea rather than an institution." -Mamet

Cool! Welcome! I have found that the blog posts Steve writes are highly motivational, I don't know of any specifics off hand, but I know there are several extra techniques and workouts aimed for women looking to maintain the "hourglass" shape but still get the advantage of strength training. I think there is a section in The 4Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. I'll have to look later.

"Tomorrow = Never"

Twitter | Thingist | Challenge | Squad

Cool! Welcome! I have found that the blog posts Steve writes are highly motivational, I don't know of any specifics off hand, but I know there are several extra techniques and workouts aimed for women looking to maintain the "hourglass" shape but still get the advantage of strength training. I think there is a section in The 4Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. I'll have to look later.

There are four exercises specific in his book for women wanting the hourglass shape.

Something he calls Myotatic crunches

and Vomiting cat..... I can't find a link for. But you are on your hands and knees and forcefully exhale and then hold it for 10 seconds. Rinse and repeat. Increase your hold and/or reps as you get stronger.

And laying all of those out in one post is funny to look at. Tim Ferriss is a crazy man (in a good way I think).

I just searched those on youtube and didn't spend a lot of time looking for them. Those links are likely going to try to sell you stuff, and I am in no way affiliated or think you should buy the stuff.

Welcome Caithnard! I'm starting on some strength training as well to start playing around with parkour. I'd love to see what you decide to work on and how your progress goes. Keep us posted!

Howdy Caith and welcome to the Rebellion!

Strength training is probably located under the muscle building brigade section of the forums. Perhaps you may also be interested in Fun Fitness as well.

New version of the OMFG coming out March 7th. Who else besides me is super excited?

"She turned me into a newt!"

"A newt?"

"I got better..."

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NFPlex

That's NFPlex.

Howdy Caith and welcome to the Rebellion!

Strength training is probably located under the muscle building brigade section of the forums. Perhaps you may also be interested in Fun Fitness as well.

New version of the OMFG coming out March 7th. Who else besides me is super excited?

*raises hand and waves wildly*

You know, I've never really been much of one for RPGs, of course there are always exceptions to the rule. Still I find the idea encouraging.

Everyone bring out your d20 dice.... I mean.... ummm....

Ah, I'm totally a dork. I bought my son a large d20 when I went on a business trip once. My husband got a kick out of it. My son doesn't get it. Now it is more of a chew toy for the toddler.

I admit to having a slight addiction to WoW in the past. I haven't played much of anything in the last year or so.

I still think tracking progress somehow is fantastic. The OMFG also allows for other areas in life other than just fitness, so I think it is fantastic to have the challenge be so well-rounded for life goals.

Hiya and welcome! I've known a couple of backstage people, and you guys are monkeys! I don't know how you do what you do.

Gaining strength is a great idea! It kills me that guys have 20% more muscle-mass in their upper bodies, but women tend to be 30% weaker. Whats up with that?!? Are you more concerned with moving yourself well (body-weight) for rock climbing, or gaining absolute lifting strength (weights), for being able to haul stuff around? Do you have access to a gym, or are you exercising at home?

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Everyone bring out your d20 dice.... I mean.... ummm....

Ah, I'm totally a dork. [...] I admit to having a slight addiction to WoW in the past. I haven't played much of anything in the last year or so.

I still think tracking progress somehow is fantastic. The OMFG also allows for other areas in life other than just fitness, so I think it is fantastic to have the challenge be so well-rounded for life goals.

I could never really get into most MMORPGs, although I do still play Torchlight and am eagerly awaiting the second one. I also really like games like Deus Ex and Borderlands that are sort of mash-ups between genres. I'll have to take another look at it. Now that you mention it, I think the "Level Up" concept would help turn small steps into valid accomplishments.

"Tomorrow = Never"

Hiya and welcome! I've known a couple of backstage people, and you guys are monkeys! I don't know how you do what you do.

Gaining strength is a great idea! It kills me that guys have 20% more muscle-mass in their upper bodies, but women tend to be 30% weaker. Whats up with that?!? Are you more concerned with moving yourself well (body-weight) for rock climbing, or gaining absolute lifting strength (weights), for being able to haul stuff around? Do you have access to a gym, or are you exercising at home?

I love all metal sets, because you basically get to treat them as monkey bars. I worked on a set two years ago where you could, starting from the ground, climb up various steel structures to the grid (a height of about 40 ft). It's like being a little kid and having the world's coolest playground. (though it's the sets are really low that provide the best workout. I spent last week army crawling under a stage that was about a foot high, so I could run lighting cable)

Strength for rock climbing is my end goal. I don't expect to ever be able to lift the same loads as some of the guys I work with (the speakers we use, for example, are 87kg, and stacked six high), but gaining upper body strength will help with what I do at tech, so it's more of a bonus.

Since it's winter, I've been exercising in my school's gym, though I've only used the cardio stuff so far. I prefer to exercise outside whenever possible, however.

"It is not childish to live with uncertainty, to devote oneself to a craft rather than a career, to an idea rather than an institution." -Mamet

hey! welcome to the boards! :)

your set does sound like an awesome playground. i've heard amazing things about rock climbing, but have yet to go myself.

those of you talking about doing specific exercises just to get a certain body shape? that seems more like bodybuilding than strength training to me.

and honestly, i have more of an hourglass shape than ever before, and i dont pick out my movements based on the shape i want my body to be.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

hey! welcome to the boards! :)

those of you talking about doing specific exercises just to get a certain body shape? that seems more like bodybuilding than strength training to me.

and honestly, i have more of an hourglass shape than ever before, and i dont pick out my movements based on the shape i want my body to be.

Well I am a dude, so I may have nooooo idea what I'm talking about. :P

"Tomorrow = Never"