Forums are back in action! ×

How do I build up to dips?

Hey all,

Just started doing the Advanced workout. (Once I hit the point of being able to do essentially six reps of the Beginner workout, I figured it was time to move up.)

I'm doing inverted pull-ups and inverted chin-ups because I am just not strong enough to do real ones yet. I can manage about 3-4 of those, but dips ...

Man, dips are made of fail for me. How do I build up to those? I can barely do one -- and not even a full dip, just sort of a little bit.

I have access to a park full of workout equipment, so I'm using their parallel bars for this (and also for the aforementioned inverted pull-ups and chin-ups). Would doing other exercises on the parallel bars be helpful?

Nothing is better for dips than dips :D I don't have a set of parallel bars to try the real thing (I basically do those bench-dips on anything that will support my weight, including the bars of handicapped stalls and my desk at work with my feet on my chair). I imagine that putting a box under you and starting by lowering your self down with your arms, then putting as much of your arms into the upward part of the dip as you can would work.

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

Definitely bench dips, IMO. I started training a guy last fall who was significantly overweight and couldn't do a dip to save his life. I had him start on bench dips for a while and now he's cranking out regular dips like nobody's business :D Spezzy's idea of weighted bench dips is great, as well. I would also try, as you gain strength and confidence, to get into the end position of a dip and sloooooowly and under as much control as you can exert lower yourself down. Basically just working negatives for a while.

PS: You probably know this but, if your body mechanics are like the great majority of the population, going below parallel on dips can invite shoulder problems, so be careful with that.

The greatest weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed - Steven Biko

Uma coisa é você achar que está no caminho certo, outra é achar que seu caminho é o único (It is one thing to believe you are on the right path; it's yet another to believe yours is the only path) - Paulo Coelho

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/dtayq