Forums are back in action! ×

Working overnight at Walmart

Aizaia

Okay, I have a question for you guys. I work overnight at Walmart part time and I go to school part/full time. Two of my classes are night classes and end just about as soon as I have to go to work which gives me no time to go back home to pick up food for lunch. I can't keep anything in my car due to my class being 3 hours long on both days. When I get my hour lunch break, I have no clue what I can eat that is within Walmart. I have a zip-lock bag filled with nuts and dried fruit for my snacks while I'm working but I do not know what I can do for an actual meal. Can you guys help me out? I'm trying to follow the paleo diet as best as I can. Just kind of stuck on this one.

Hypothetically, how long would it be between when you could prepare a meal and store it in containers (ie. before you leave for class) and the next time you could put it in a fridge (is there a fridge at work you can put stuff in)? I ask because pretty much anything will last a few hours out of the fridge/cold conditions. Cooked meat, raw or cooked veggies, fruit, nuts/seeds, it's all good out of the fridge for a good long time. You could prepare it ahead of time, pack it in ziploc bags or reusable containers, toss it all in a bag or backpack, and you're golden. You could probably even leave it in your car unless you're in an area where it's hot (I'm in Canada, so right now my car doubles as a freezer if I want it to...)

Here's a related thread that might be helpful to you too: linky

Dare mighty things

Going along with the preparings things in advance and putting them in re-usable containers idea, you get a cool bag/box system which has an insulated bag with ice packs to store your food containers in (basically a mobile fridge bag). Something like https://www.planetbox.com/shop/product-category/individual-items/coldkit or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easylunchboxes-Compartment-Single-Insulated-Cooler/dp/B003LY3WKM/ref=sr_1_8?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1360062475&sr=1-8

Spooky_Rach, level 3 dwarf ranger
STR 5|DEX 3|STA 6|CON 6|WIS 5|CHA 4

I was going to simply suggest a cooler.  Might be a bit old school, but they work.  Used to do this every day when I worked in a factory.  Kept my lunch cool even when the factory was 85+ all day.  

Here's a one for only $10, big enough for any lunch.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-9-Can-Soft-Cooler-Liner/dp/B006HFA1YC/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1360082508&sr=1-4

It really depends on when I wake up for that day. I get off work around 7 A.M and I try to be up by 3 or 4 and I have to leave for class at least by 5. Class starts at 5:30 and class ends at 8:30. Then I have to work at 10. There is a time gap I know but the problem is. The location of the class that I'm going to is 20 minutes away in another town. I work in that same town as well. I can't afford to drive back and forth since gas is pretty much an issue. Walmart does have a fridge which I probably can put it in there right after class. I'll get a ice pack to keep it cool for the 3 hours and just take it to work right after class. Thanks for the advice everyone. This helps because I've been struggling with this one for a while.

Archived