Forums are back in action! ×

Hello!!

Hi!  I'm new :)

I read the article about Staci and felt motivated to join :)  

My question is: how do you get started if you don't know where/how to start?  I see a trainer for 30 minutes once a week - we do squats (75lbs!!  yes, i'm proud of that number ;)) and pushups and sometimes attempt chin ups.  

My fear in doing anything with weights without her is that I'll injure myself.  I'm finally able to do squats without her, but it took doing them with her for 5 or 6 weeks before I could do it with correct form and felt confident enough to go it alone.  I'm injury prone - I"m seeing a trainer for getting stronger, not for losing weight!

How do you go about this alone? 

So I have always trained alone (except for the odd session with spezzy) so the first thing to do is RESEARCH! When I first started I got the book Starting Strength and read up on the power lifting mechanics. The branched out and found youtube videos showing proper form (eg Mark Rippetoe, Dave Tate, or Diesel Crew). 

After that I started videoing my self on light and heavy lifts at different angles to compare. And also posted form videos on this forum for feedback from fellow lifting nerds. 

Check out the Power Lifting section. There is a knowledge base for links etc that can get you started. 

Going alone doesnt have to be scary. Knowledge will light the way (okay that was cheesy) :D 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Thanks for the tips!!  You're right - there are a ton of great resources here on nerdfitness.  

I'm now squatting 85lbs and deadlifting 90lbs!!  So exciting.  My goal is to get these to 100lbs (uh, 100% of my body weight!)  Still mostly with my trainer, but I"m trying to venture out.  She said she'll teach me bench presses when I can do 10 "good" pushups... I can currently do three sets of five pretty well, so almost there.  

There are a ton of people on here that know more about weight lifting than i do (i'm more of a runner) but I can suggest that you make sure your form is correct before you start attempting huge amounts of weight. 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Archived