Forums are back in action! ×

Black Materia

For all you FFVII nerds: this is pretty much awesome in every way. Streaming hip-hop remix of the FFVII remix. I'm in the middle of a FFVII replay so it was totally fortuitous to stumble across this.

http://random.bandcamp.com/album/black-materia-final-fantasy-vii

"Did you go to the gym when you were alive?"
"I died in 1938. For exercise, we drank sloe gin and smoked Lucky Strikes."
- Dead Like Me

If you like Final Fantasy music mixes, there is also this awesome streaming webradio station, which leans toward a classical/orchestral feel but plays a wide variety:

http://www.finalfantasyradio.com/

If you like video game remixes in general, try OCremix.com. Everything there is freely downloadable, though not all of it is good (read the reviews).

There's also this FF7 remix album, has kind of a trance/electronica feel to many of the songs:

http://ff7.ocremix.org/

The Black Mages are awesome if you like rock-style mixes. I have not personally tried Black Materia, though.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Alethea, I have heard the Black Mages and yeah, awesomeness!

Raincloak, thanks for sharing the FF music love. I'll have to check some of those out.

In related news, **SPOILER ALERT (if I really need to do a spoiler alert for a 14 year old game)** I played through the Forgotten City (City of the Ancients) in my game yesterday. How does that scene not get any easier to watch after all this time? Also, a brilliant choice on the part of the designers to have the sad Aeris theme playing while you fight the last incarnation of Jenova. Totally heartbreaking.

Sort of reconsidering putting FFVII back into the top slot as my favorite FF.

- Dead Like Me

How did it ever fall out of the top slot? It's leaps and bounds better than any FF to come afterwards.

Couldn't agree with you more there. The question is: what about the ones that came before it? :D I think on any given day, I would have a hard time giving a definite ranking between FF4, FF6, and FF7.

That being said, I have a new appreciation now for just how great FF7 really is compared to when I first played it. I was probably too young (12-13) to really wrap my head around some of the bigger themes, but now I can appreciate the complexity of the game much more. Mostly, I've just been struck but how seemingly political the game is, or, at least, how wide open it leaves itself to a political reading.

Yes, it takes place in a land full of monsters and chocobos and spirit energy, but in a lot of ways, the world of FF7 is really not that different from ours. War, corporate greed, energy crises, environmental destruction. The architecture of Midgar itself is essentially a physical embodiment of a critique of capitalism (or at least, fascist corporatism) run amok: the well off live above the plates in lavish homes, while everyone else is left to eke out an existence in the slums with no sunlight.

The city is run by ShinRa, whose primary activities include weapons development and energy harvesting. The concept of mako energy as a public resource being harvested for private gain is made all the more disturbing when you learn that mako energy is actually the lifeforce of the planet, containing all the knowledge and wisdom of the spirits that have returned to the lifestream.

Aaaaaaaaaaand I'm back now. :P This is what happens when you go to one of them there lefty schools and read a little too much theory.

To summarize, FF7 = teh awesome.

- Dead Like Me

prefect42: All art has political content. Just remember to take the artist(s) into consideration when you start interpreting.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.