Forums are back in action! ×

An awesome paleo morning...

I think I've been an oversized guy since I was about 8, so I'm not used to receving compliments on my physique. I can't describe my surprise when the mean lady in my office walked past me, stopped, turned around and asked, "have you lost a bunch of weight? It looks really good!"

Holy cats (to quote Robb Wolf).

"What have you been doing?"

Then I showed her the breakfast I was just about to warm up in the break room: two egg-white patties, two sausage patties, bacon and cheese (I know! not paleo, but I have to :) )

The look of incredulity was almost as priceless as the compliment. She looked at breakfast, looked at me, and asked, "how does that work?" I told her that I've eliminated gluten and most starches, like potatoes, so I'm not worrying about inflammation in my gut and I don't get an insulin spike from what is essentially sugar. I also mentioned that with high protein, high fat meals I don't get between meal cravings anymore, and last night I had to force myself to eat dinner because I wasn't at all hungry.

I didn't realize but another coworker had taken an interest in my pile of protein, and told me that I'd inspired him! He is giving up bread for Lent because of what I had just described. His doc says he's pre-diabetic, wants him to lose the belly fat and try to get his sugar under control. He's not quite ready for paleo, but he says he'll replace the energy he's losing from bread-related foods (he's a counter) with veggies and salads. Awesome!!

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

I think I've been an oversized guy since I was about 8, so I'm not used to receving compliments on my physique. I can't describe my surprise when the mean lady in my office walked past me, stopped, turned around and asked, "have you lost a bunch of weight? It looks really good!"

Holy cats (to quote Robb Wolf).

"What have you been doing?"

Then I showed her the breakfast I was just about to warm up in the break room: two egg-white patties, two sausage patties, bacon and cheese (I know! not paleo, but I have to :) )

The look of incredulity was almost as priceless as the compliment. She looked at breakfast, looked at me, and asked, "how does that work?" I told her that I've eliminated gluten and most starches, like potatoes, so I'm not worrying about inflammation in my gut and I don't get an insulin spike from what is essentially sugar. I also mentioned that with high protein, high fat meals I don't get between meal cravings anymore, and last night I had to force myself to eat dinner because I wasn't at all hungry.

That is fantastic! It always is good to get some unexpected complement. How do you make your egg white patties? Just curious because I'm really bored with my microwaved eggs in the morning.

I get the whole shooting match from the cafe in the building I work in. All of the food they serve is organic, too, so yay for me. They're honestly one of the reasons I put up with my job M-F: I don't know where else I would get this quality of food unless I did a lot more prep work (yech!!) I warm it up in my break room microwave because their convection ovens always turn the cheese into a crisp and make the eggs rubbery. They bake their pucks on what are essentially giant cookie trays with depressions in them that resemble the egg puck on an egg McMuffin. I imagine a little creativity with a regular muffin pan would do the trick, kinda like if you were making all egg baby quiches :)

Oh, I should mention that I also eat said pile of protein with two Tbsp of either salsa or chipotle ranch dressing. That's just enough to get a little something extra on each bite, but not go off the rails with it. Even though I vary the cheese on top, the same thing day after day gets super boring.

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

*Starting Strength Wiki

The coworker who is giving up bread for Lent just passed on cake from one of his office friends. The exchange took place outside of my cube and I heard him say he's geting practice for the upcoming deprivation time. (I was not offered any of said cake, even though the offerer professed desperation so that she would not be tempted by its chocolatey goodness... perhaps my reputation preceeds me)

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

*Starting Strength Wiki