Forums are back in action! ×

Whatever comes before level one...

...that's where I am. I'm not just overweight, I'm out of shape. I'd like to get into Parkour, but right now I'd settle for being able to do bodyweight exercises without getting winded, collapsing, and giving up.

I'm a giver-upper. I get discouraged because I'm impatient and I can't deal with the fact that my body won't do what my brain tells it to.

However, I'm leaving my current job (hurrah! more unemployment! /sarcasm) and I'll have free time to kill. My loving mother signed me up for 10 zumba classes. I have two left feet and no rhythm...so...yay? So I figure I'll do one the first week, two the second, three the third, and keep going three times a week until I don't have to go any more run out of classes. I'm also planning on starting with the Beginner Bodyweight Workout. Add to that, I work with kids once a week, and I guess I'll go from there. Convention season is starting and I'm going to be run off my feet working the circut so now seems like a good time to actually DO SOMETHING about my feeble body. If I'm really lucky, getting into shape will help with my clinical depression.

So that's me.

Nice to meet you all.

Never grow up, never give in.

I’m actually doing it for strength. If I lose weight along the way (I will because I am so sedentary right now that I think even walking for a half hour each day would make me lose weight) then fine, but I’d rather get strong. Having a body that doesn’t do the things I want it to brings out the Jerkbrain.  Plus, I have a history of getting weird about eating if I focus too much on calories and the number on a scale. I think I’ll start looking into improving my diet as I go. As for the depression, I’m on SSRIs for that, and I have a pretty good stable of CBT techniques I can use.

But thank you so much for the scheduling advice! It’s been so long since I had any sort of routine that I do run the risk of pushing too hard and getting discouraged. I’m so glad to have found this place, it’s nice having support that comes from fellow nerds. :redface: And can I just say that your success story is very inspiring!

Never grow up, never give in.

Archived