Forums are back in action! ×

How effective is this workout?

cnewton

Ok, I'm new here (hi!) after lurking on the main site for a while. I'm an 18 year old student in rural England, heading to university this September. I'm quite a skinny lad, weighing in at about 10 st 3 lb normally and about 5tft 11 in height. This has always left me self-conscious though, disliking my slightness and not going swimming in public for my entire adolescence. I'm wanting to change this for university though. 

I've decided that I'm going to start with a really simple workout, and Steve's body weight workout seems brilliant. I can do it all at home (I've no access to the gym at my location) with minimal equipment. I do have some dumbbells to use for the rows though.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Basically, what I want to know is this - if I did three sets of Steve's bodyweight workout (above) every day how would this affect how my bodies looks and my overall fitness level. I'm not expecting (or wanting) to look like a bodybuilder, just want to reach a point where I'm no longer ashamed. Will this suffice?

Thanks in advance to this great community! :D (Sorry if this is in the wrong forum section).

P.S. Extra little question: I'm quite fond of cycling in the summer, and used to go on runs (though slipped out of the habit regarding that) but I know both of these are Cardio. If I do these, will they have a negative impact on the effectiveness of the circuit workout, or will it actually be advantageous? Thanks again!

Thanks! I almost definitely need a calorific increase if I'm to build any muscle and not get skinnier. Thanks for the advice on what to eat and how to make the workout harder. I'll check out the Assassin's guild too, as well as the advanced workout for future use.

Once again thanks again for your swift and informative response.

Just a quick update. Since I made this post I've been very diligent, and have actually noticed progress already!

I've eaten lots of protein (including drinking lots of milk) and eaten more fruit and veg. Have done the bodyweight circuit Friday, Monday, and (tomorrow morning), and cardio Saturday and tonight. My cardio involved biking about 9 miles on the quiet country roads nearby. This also features several hills though so it's not easy.

I've noticed a greater stamina already, and aching muscles which I see as a good thing! I've also noticed a slight change in my body which is now a little less skinny.  Looking forward to this progress continuing and getting fitter and fitter!

Thanks again.

Archived