Forums are back in action! ×

Well, hello friends!

I have a familiar story... overweight most of my life, didn't play sports, wasn't very active (though, I could play the heck out of the playground!), battled self-image issues, tried a few things with no success, and was genuinely unhappy when it came to all things body-related.  It's not all depressing though - I have learn to compensate in other areas of my life - a strong sense of self, a dark and twisted sense of humour, and a huge amount of creativity being the primary ones. ;)

A little bit more about my story... about three years ago, I discovered roller derby and fell IN LOVE.  Coming from my background, it has been a huge physical and emotional challenge (still is most days). Now I am going into my second year on skates.  I skate about four hours a week (mostly on the weekends).   I haven't lost any weight - though, I know I have increased muscle mass - especially in my legs.  I have started to morph into a T-Rex. I have this MASSIVE LEGS AND THIGHS... and itty-bitty arms.  I am not well-rounded at all.  Plus, add in the fact, that my energy is almost non-existent and I feel really slow compared to a lot of my team mates. After having a less than stellar rookie season, I have decided that this year will be different.  After 38 years, I wanna drive my own evolution.  

My issue lays mostly with my diet. It's crap.  I have portion control issues and emotional eating issues.  I know that diet has been and will always be my biggest struggle.   I am analyzing my plan of action. I was a terrible vegetarian for a number of years (substituted meat with pasta) and I don't have the fortitude (or inclination, frankly) to adopt the Paleo lifestyle (a number of my team mates have with great success though).  I want to try an maintain a balanced diet (perhaps using the Canadian Food Guide - maybe?). But it will be tricky because I can talk myself out of anything. I'm a jerk sometimes.  Battling the voices will be my toughest challenge!

I have decided to focus on small steps and small goals instead of a magic number that comes off the scale.   Small goals like maintaining a consistent food log and exercise log. And then creating a bigger goal for ever six month - the current one being participating in a Spartan race in August.   It will help me to keep focused with something concrete and something that will happen instead of some obscure number.  If I don't train or eat better, that Spartan race is going to kick my butt and I really don't want that to happen.  

And if a side effect is some weight-loss, feeling better when I play roller derby, and improving my game, then THUMBS UP!

At any rate, I'm excited to be here. I dig the site and this forum seems to be a pretty fantastic place too!

I've always wanted to try out roller derby. but I have crappy knees (floating meniscus in both of them), and my balance is atrocious. :/

anywho, welcome!

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

Welcome to the Rebellion. Diet can be tricky for a lot of people, me included.  Some things that might be helpful, you have a finite amount of will power, so make small consistent changes rather than huge sweeping ones.  Stick with whatever you try, most diets work if you stick with them.  Consider seeing a counselor about the emotional eating.  That's what led to me finally working out on a consistent basis.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Archived