Forums are back in action! ×

Re-Introduction

Hello Everyone,

I've long been a member of NF but have been inactive for over a year, so I thought it might be appropriate to affect a re-introduction.  Like many people here, I'm just another nerd trying to achive the fitness part in NerdFitness...I have some ideas about what I want to achieve and recently I feel like I've finally developed ways to get there.  That was a difficulty I had some trouble overcoming.  

When I'm not working towards my progress goals, I'm usually doing my day job as a Business Intelligence/ETL developer, or I'm at home spending time on my Xbox 360.  In addition to becoming active on NF again, I've also resurrected my YouTube channel and hope to really start building it out.  My first series, a "RawPlay" on Crysis 3, posted this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/evolvedinsanity

I'm looking to post to my channel roughly every other day, switching between a gameplay series like on Crysis 3 above, and then I am also going to do a "RandomPlay" series, where I play one of the neglected titles in my collect (Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood for example) and discuss a topic while I play it.  It's my own personal spin on a V-Blog.

I'll probably also try to post in the daily battle log forums and the Woot forums as I move forward in my fitness goals.  

I wish you all the best in the pursuit of your own goals and hope I'll make some friend here.

My fitness goals don't have specific numbers in mind or a particular set of circumstances I want to arrive at...I have a milestone set simply at 225 pounds (I am presently around 275) and then I will re-evaluate when I get there to see if I feel the need to continue at the levels I am at or if I can start to re-work my regimen to be more focus on holding weight instead of dropping it.  So for right now I guess the simple answer is I am working on losing 50 more pounds.

The reason 50 pounds lost is the goal right now is because I need a fixed point in which to evaluate my progress and then decide if I need or want to lose more.  I stand at 5'10'', and at least going by the BMI scale, 225 would put me considerably overweight, however, I have a sense that since I have been overweight my entire life and my body grew in such a way to adapt for this fact, I don't think I'd look all that great at 178 or whatever that recommended weight is.  I want something that makes me happy to be at and is reasonable to maintain.  I feel like that's a good place to stop and re-evaluate what my next steps are.

As far as what I'm doing to get there, right now I'm doing cardio in the form of walking 1.5 miles at least 4-5 days of the week, and once I break the 250 barrier I plan on adding weight training into that as I know I am going to need to increase my activity as I get smaller.  For the diet I'm staying to form on Paleo as strictly as possible.  So far it's working out - 3 weeks or so I have been consistent and I've gone from 291lbs to 273lbs (what I was this morning).

Sounds like good motivation and a good plan.  For what its worth, you don't have to wait until 250 to do strength training, I started strength training at around 280 and I'm still hovering around 268 and still doing strength training.  Strength training builds muscle which will in turn burn more calories when you walk, I call it the happy cycle of awesome.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I have a girl who has been with me for a year who has lost 80 pounds. Most of that has been through resistance and HIIT. If you really want to burn the pounds, then you want to do resistance. Building muscle burns fat.

Level 8 Half-Elven Ninja (3 Assassin/5 Monk)

[sTR 15.5] [DEX 13] [CON 10] [sTA 13] [WIS 19] [CHA 9]

"With great power there must also come great responsibility" - Amazing Fantasy #15

"Pressure makes diamonds." - Gen. George S. Patton

about.me/daniel.mccarthy Follow my blog

Archived