Forums are back in action! ×

Hello all!

I think I first came across Nerd Fitness several months ago via a link to Steve's post on travel hacking around the world (I think maybe through Art of Manliness?), but it wasn't until maybe about a week or so ago that I revisited the site and really had a look at all the articles and I was hooked!

About three or four years ago I really started to take my health and fitness seriously. I never really exercised like if it was a regular thing. In high school I had PE and played volleyball for a year, but somehow I maintained my weight under 200 lbs (and I've been tall forever, currently 6'-3"). Then college came around and still, no regular exercise to speak of. By the time I finally finished my program of choice (Landscape Architecture :smile-new: ) and settled into working full time at a desk I had gained a lot of weight- but I didn't really notice it too much. It just kind of crept up on me. In 2004 I got a physical and all my levels were above normal and I was weighing in at 295 lbs. I think because of my height it wasn't very noticeable (looking back now at a photo from back then, it is VERY noticeable). I began to realize that I had to do something about this, so after work I'd go for a walk around my neighborhood and go for short bike rides. In 2005 I decided that I wanted to take a martial art for fun and exercise, and Kendo seemed like a pretty legitimate art, I mean Japanese swords and armor, why not?! I think the results were pretty immediate. The workouts were hard and I was finally getting the 'you look like you've lost weight' from friends and family. I continued the practice for two years, during which time my life was beginning to resemble the Titanic disaster with the iceberg being comprised of relationships, work, and money.

By late 2010, I wasn’t working full time, trying to work whatever gigs I could find to make it by and feeling pretty unmotivated and depressed so I just started cycling every other day. By the beginning of 2011 (and with a warm January in Southern California) I started running too (I use that term loosely). I also cut out breads, pasta, and dairy as well. By then I had already cut out sodas, fast food (mostly), highly processed food and moving more into organic and vegetarian meals. By mid-2011 I was weighing in at about 210 lbs.

Fast forward to today- I’ve made significant gains in my workouts. Over the past two years I’ve gone from having trouble running 1 mile to running a 5k like it was no problem. I hike and swim regularly and have started to add core and strength training to my routine. This month I started Insanity (I’m still wondering why…). I’m currently weighing in at a stubborn 230 lbs., but I can definitely feel a change in my overall size. To think, I used to wear size 42 jeans and XXL shirts and now I’m in 36 pants (probably a 35) and L size shirts. I’ve also just had my levels checked and all my cholesterol, glucose, and triglycerides are low or well within range. It feels so great to know I’m on the right track. I’m definitely never going back! :joyous:

My goals thus far are as follows

- Continue to exercise and to move more
- Get my body fat into the mid-teens (currently about 23%- damn this mid-section)
- Continue to eat right and reduce non-Paleo foods (though their elimination is a stretch)
- Continue to develop my own personal growth and development
- Travel more and get out of my comfort zone

- Always learn something new and get the most out of life

This site is fantastic and I feel that it really speaks to my needs and goals. Thank you Steve, your staff, and the NF community- I look forward to spending time on here and interacting with you all.

- Daniel

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

j.r.r. tolkien

Archived