Forums are back in action! ×

Gotta be fit to fight like 'The Fett'

Hi all, I am a 20 year old Uni student from New Zealand, and am in the last year of my design degree. I'm 6'4" and weight around about 95kg and am a big Star Wars nerd. In high school I played hockey, so had some level of fitness, even if it wasn't high. Since I started uni two years ago my fitness has plummeted however, and I am now very unfit. I have also had an unhealthy diet for a long time now. I didn't really give much (if any) thought to what I ate, and i wouldn't be uncommon for me to eat a whole bag of potato chips or a packet of biscuits in one sitting. I have a fast metabolism so in the past my eating habits haven't been an issue with regards to weight, however of late I have begun to notice my waistline beginning to expand.

I recently moved into a new flat and so have decided that now is the time to change my habits and 'level up my life', by starting to eat well and work out again.

In my opinion my biggest issue is self control. I find it hard to have just one of something, and not lots. I am also a rationaliser, so particularly in regards to diet, lots of little steps towards improving it won't really work for me. For example, if I made the decision that I'm not going to have any more of food type 'x', I would end up thinking that I deserve a reward for something else I have done (working out etc) and since I can still eat food type 'y' and type 'x' is similar to type 'y' I guess I could just have some this once.

But, I am here now which is a step in the right direction, right? The last few days I have started eating healthily, and did some body weight exercises yesterday and went for a jog this morning so so far so good, and at the moment I'm liking the changes I have made to my diet and routine so am motivated to keep going.

Good for you, welcome to the rebellion! Self control is what I struggle with as well.  One of the things that helped me was to figure out what (Specificially) I wanted, why I wanted it and how I was going to get there. So you want to be in shape. What does that look like for you in specificic, measurable terms?  Why do you want to reach that goal? How do you plan to get there?  Answering those questions can help you keep up with the changes you like and keep you motivated when the new wears off.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Archived