Forums are back in action! ×

Replacing Old Habits with New Healthy Ones

Hey All,

I signed up to this site and have become delightedly addicted to it. I've watched videos, read articles, joined a thread, and started work on my 6-week challenge.

• I need habits
  • that are good
  • for me
  • in the long haul
  • I need support
  • and understanding
  • from you
  • that I will return three-fold

I am a 47 year old woman measuring in at 5'6" and 260 lbs. I have been sedentary for almost two decades. I have been living with PTSD and cancer, trying to maintain a livable day-to-day existence. I managed it mostly with bad habits and a serious negative self-worth. It has been tiring and, at times, scary and quite hopeless.

BUT I kicked both their asses!     :victorious:

I feel new and I want more for myself. I found Steve and this place. Now I'm excited to start being active, learning who I am. So, add me as a friend, ask me anything, and let me lean on you some too. We can rock this life!    :encouragement:

Cheers, Peace, and Power!

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Welcome to Nerd Fitness! Nice bullet points. Looks like you've been kicking ass for a while now, we're glad to have you on our side. :)

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Hi Terinatum,

I just finished reading "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg and it was a phenomenal read, discussing how and why we form habits and what we can do to change them. In particular, it discusses the importance of the habit loop, which is a Cue, following by a Routine, followed by a Reward, which is enhanced by a craving. I think it'll definitely be a worthwhile read, so you can identify some of the triggers behind your habits and figure out how to change them. If you decided to read the book, I'd love to know what you think. 

In addition, I've also used this fantastic web service, Habit Forge, to change my habits, ONE at a time. You can get instant feedback on your habits and it's exhilarating to see you're making progress with small wins.

Rock on with the rest of your Sunday!

Adventurer

Level 1

Thanks.

I will definitely check out the book. I'd love something in my hands to cheer me on.

It's like, just knowing I'm getting on the computer cheers me up lately, because I know NF is so close by.

I'll check out your threads and see what you're up to.

Cheers, T

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

I've always been the type (just like most others) to cycle through desired changes in an on again off again fashion.  I listened to Duhiggs audio book "The Power of Habit" back in Dec 2014.  I've listened to it 4 times now.  In the past 2 months I've made the following habits:

KH1 - As of Dec 23, I started keeping my work desk clean and organized (Work related habit which requires me to put away all papers at the end of every day and spray clean my desk at the end of each week).

KH2 - As of Jan 1, I started exercising every day (Combination of high intensity days, low intensity days, sport days, and placeholder)

KH3 - As of Jan 2, I started managing home records and limiting my postits (No more than 2 postits on my desk,, bills recorded daily, finances updated monthly)

KH4 - As of Jan 14, I eliminated night time crap after 9pm. 

KH5 - As of Feb 3, I started a work related habit of 1hr/week of job skill training.

I have successfully kept every KH everyday since their individual inception dates.  If someone asked me what the best thing I've ever done to improve my life would be, I would tell them it was implementing Duhiggs cue/routine/reward loop principle.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Archived