Forums are back in action! ×

My Oldest, And Weights

Thrillho

My son just turned 11, and he's been asking me since he was 8 when he can start lifting weights and working out.  I've been explaining that intensive weight training is not good for kids, since it can damage their growth plates and affect bone growth and whatnot, and he should focus on cardio and running, for two big reasons.  

One, he's pretty big (he's 11, 5'1" and 108 lbs... not fat, just a gigantic kid), and two, he has juvenile idiopathic arthritis in both knees. He's had huge delays for running, walking, balancing on one foot, jumping, and those delays have translated into almost every other aspect of his hand-eye co-ordination.  Now, at the age of 11, he is only starting to be able to reliable catch a ball thrown from more than 20 feet away. 

This year, though, he's come a LONG way from last year, in terms of running and co-ordination and ability.  He ran the Kids Of Steel triathlon last year, and although he came dead last... he still did it.  Swimming, biking, running. He does fundraising for the Arthritis Society at his school (in fact TODAY is the Kids With Arthritis Bake Sale).  He's not letting it slow him down, and he really wants to improve. He is a VORACIOUS reader, and 'Starting Strength' is winging it's way to him. 

I'm thinking, given his stature and his strength, maybe it is a good idea to start him lifting with me, with very very low weights; I'm thinking the empty 20 lb bar with some wooden plates on the end to provide the right dimensions. Teach him proper form for squatting, deadlifts, bench press, all that, and really get him interested in it, so when he properly his puberty and the testosterone kicks in, we can start adding weights properly.  

Opinions?

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

With supervision and being aware of his issues, I don't think it would be an issue.  And lots of rest.  While I did not begin lifting weights til high school, I certainly lifted a lot of heavy things on the farm much younger than that.  I can't remember when I started carrying 30-40# bales of hay, shoveling feed, etc, etc.  Just like with adults, its the joint aches to watch for.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Late in seeing this post - I checked into this when my son wanted to start and some people mentioned growth plates but no one could tell me why it would be bad. He started at 9 1/2 and is now 13 turning 14 in June. He is 6'1"-2" (can't seem to get a good reading) and 230 lbs. He has a very big frame (like yours) and is getting very strong and that is after taking a year and a half off. Didn't seem to hurt him one bit. Supervision, form & safety is what I pushed and he listened. It's a lot fun. We also do "Strongman" type workouts when the weather is nice. Very good bonding.

I left my smaller freeweights down there when I moved up north, he tells me he's using them more and already his squat has gone from "five holding a ten pounder" to "ten holding both ten pounders!"  Seeing progress has BLOWN HIS MIND.

Starting Strength is a program specifically designed for youngster who need to bulk up and get stronger for a varsity team. The book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe (the inventor of the program) is written for coaches of high school sports teams to better guide and develop their young players. These players are usually around the age of 14, so a lot of growing still has to ensue in their lives.

There is a short article which might interest you on livestrong.com. It's called 'Myths for Lifting Weights at a Young Age'. It should be easy to find.

Most of the detriments and dangers of weightlifting at that age are caused by adding too much weight with improper form. As long as your kid is able to follow instructions and has someone to guide him on form he should be a-ok. He'll be a beast in no time!!

Level 1 Gnome Adventurer

http://rotterdamnit.wordpress.com/

I bought him Starting Strength, and there's a good chance the house we'll be getting in July or August will have a couple extra rooms (MAN houses are cheap up here!) and my wife will let me use one just for weights and workout equipment.  ALL of my kids want me to show them how to do it. :D

He's read harder books than that, don't worry.  He's (at the risk of sounding needlessly braggy) extremely well-read.  Most of what he's doing is just squats with two small dumbells, and overhead presses with the same dumbells.  We'll get into the tougher stuff when we're together again this summer. 

I love your son's determination!

The growth plate concern is largely a myth. The danger comes from injury, not safe progressive overload. More: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/107/6/1470.full

I agree with the SS recommendation with one alteration: Don't go to the program's end. Your son could exhaust the program before he's 13, well short of physical maturity. Going toward a stalling point which indicates adults can graduate from the program seems needlessly dangerous for kids. When the lifts get very difficult, I'd go for early graduation to non-daily progression lifting program.

1 Wood Elf

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | WIS 2 | CON 3 | CHA 2
"May all your days be rest days." - Traditional Irish curse

Archived