Forums are back in action! ×

Ah hell...I signed up for Tough Mudder...

BigJim78

Ive been working at this for 1 month now after having spent 4 months playing around with Paleo and body weight workouts. Ive gone 90% paleo (eating BIG) with some supplement additions such as whey and creatine recently. I work away for a week at a time with a week back home ( mining industry). My workout routine is pretty strict, with high weight/low rep strength training while away on site and a bunch of fun stuff while home (like Crossfit).

Away on site:

Wednesday and Sunday

Deadlift 4x5reps (superset with Dips AMRAP...can manage 6...meh)

Benchpress 4x5 reps (superset with planks 90 secs)

Bent Over Rows 3x8 reps (superset with weighted lunges)

Friday and Tuesday

Squats 4x5 reps (superset with push ups AMRAP in 90 seconds...15 so far...want MORE!)

Overhead Press 4x5 reps (superset with wall sits)

Pull Ups 3x5 Max reps ( I usually fill in with negatives, if thats not enough; body weight rows)

Also a single cardio only workout to maintain conditioning

Every day in between is a total rest day.

At Home;

2x Crossfit classes with three days of rest in between (1 hour each...I LOVE THIS!!!...even if Im ready to die by the end WHO CARES!!!)

1x 5Km run

1x Dumbell strength workout

1x Interval training

What Im freaking out about is...Is this going to give me the strength and conditioning necessary to complete a Tough Mudder in 6 months time. Im trying to commit to this plan and am getting tired of second guessing myself. As Steve would say "Stop collecting underpants!"

But if anyone has insight or something to share that might help me tweak this and assist me in reaching my epic dreams then please do speak up.

Thanks all for your time,

Jim

Lift big, eat big, sprint...repeat....

I haven't had the pleasure (er, torture) of doing the Tough Mudder so you can take this with a grain of salt...

Cross fit will do a lot of good preparing you, and your strength work will supplement the crossfit nicely. You will want to build up to being able to put 10-15 miles (with hills included) on your legs by the Mudder even if it's just hiking. 6 months should be plenty of time if you are consistent.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

I'm about to sign up, too. I've pretty much resigned myself that I won't be ready by the time it comes (June 9, ugh), but I'm going to bust my butt to get as close to ready as possible. I'm pretty much focusing on running and strength training, but since I've never run one (I've only done 5k adventure races like Rugged Maniac) I can't tell you for sure what works.

I know there's a Tough Mudder boot camp on the website, and someone else on here suggested the Spartan Race (a similar intense adventure race) WoDs that you can sign up for here where they will email you a workout daily to help you prepare.

Pretty much just letting you know, I'm in the same boat (although probably not as fit as you), and subbing so I can get feedback, too!

Lvl. 2 Ranger Assassin Shapeshifter

STR - 3 | DEX - 3 | STA - 7 | CON - 4 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Current Challenge: Breaking Chains

(Really) Old Challenges 1 | 2 | 3

Didn't get to do the Tough Mudder last year, but did do the shortest of the Spartan races.  Here are my takeaways.

1. Bring a couple packets of Gu or something of that sort and down them at the water station (if they have one).  Fatigue was the killer for me and those helped.
  2. Wear clothes that won't suck up mud or start stretching when they get wet. Funniest thing I saw was a gal in cotton shorts with no draw string trying to keep them on half way through the race.
  3. Upper body strength/endurance is important.  Don't know about the TM, but getting over walls and the cargo net sucked for me.
  4. Running fast isn't important unless you are competing for time. 
  5. Burpees are your friend even if they are evil friends.
  6. Work on crawling low for a distance.  It is harder than it looks.

[ Level 2 ]  1/2 Ogre Viking Adventurer

<Current Challenge>

Str 6 / Dex 3 / Sta 2 / Con 4.5 / Wis 6 / Int 5 / Cha 4

In My Backpack: Fire Flower Power Up,

I'd find a way to do 1/4 - 1/2 mile runs (at a park- or your gym if it's set up okay for it) and do sets of crap between. 

I can't stress this enough- the killer isn't the running.  The killer isn't the obstacles- it's the fact that they are IN BETWEEN and that's the hardest thing to train for ultimately. People get really really overwhelmed with that factor- so I would really work on that.  I'm pretty good shape and every now and then I'll run and do a HIIT half way through- and I"m totally gassed.  LOL (Now to be fair I don't run AT ALL at this point- but I like to throw it in there as a leveler and remind me there is ALWAYS room for improvement!)

Excellent point on the cotton- I did my version in boots and uts- so the worst thing was the cotton shirt getting wadded up with the ripstop camo pants- but you get used to it. 

Don't stress about it- it's going to suck no matter how good of shape you are in and that's the reality. :)  that's why they are fun!

I second the "don't stress about it."  I completed a Tough Mudder last year in Vermont.  It was very hilly.  We had a group of a dozen of us doing it together, so no one was trying to set a blistering pace. And, because of the steepness of the trails - there was plenty of walking.  I had really not done any running leading up to the Mudder, last year. I'm not recommending that approach. But, I had been doing plenty of time in the gym and on the bike.  I wish I had done some more running - but just being generally fit will get you through.

You are on the right path.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

That's a lot more preparation than I did and I did ok... unless you're in really good shape the main thing is being able to not quit.  Seriously, by about mile 8 or 9 there were people 10+ years younger than me and in much better shape just giving up (to the point where my brother and cousin where were spectating were half convinced I'd already quit and they'd missed me somehow).

The course designers are evil b*st*rds.  That is all.  I found burpees much more relevant to spartan race than tough mudder but that's probably because you do them for every obstacle you muck up in spartan race :).

good luck with it!

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Thanks all for the input. I'l start adjusting my runs accordingly by adding in some HIIT every 1-1.5 km I run. Good tip that one.

As for the rest, thaks HEAPS for the encouragement. Its good to knowthis plan is the right path for me.

Might even invest in some decent gear closer to the event to stop the dreaded soggy pants syndrome. No one should have to see my butt in naught but undies!

Lift big, eat big, sprint...repeat....

As of yesterday, I am officially registered for June 9! Oh shit.

And drawstrings work wonders for keeping your pants on. That, and the lighter the fabric/less fabric, the less weight they hold when they get wet and muddy.

Lvl. 2 Ranger Assassin Shapeshifter

STR - 3 | DEX - 3 | STA - 7 | CON - 4 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Current Challenge: Breaking Chains

(Really) Old Challenges 1 | 2 | 3

Hiya,

I am actually training for the TM here in CO as well. It looks like you are on the right track. The one thing I did do was set up a run training program to get my lungs used to prolonged use. I am working to a 9:00 mile pace for 10 miles and I think I will probably be over prepared for it at that point. I have never done one but i heard that there is a lot of "waiting" (read resting) for obstacles. 

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

Im doing the one in NC in november and Ive been planning on interval training for up to 10 miles, plus strength training for the obstacles. My buddy that did it last year said you really dont even have to run the whole way due to waiting for others.  Biggest thing is a lot of upper body strength like rings and monkey bars with loose handles.

Level 1 Celtic Berserker

STR: 3  DEX: 1  STA: 2  CON: 3  WIS: 3  CHA: 3

" Practice is like putting brains in your muscles."  Sam Snead

Archived