Forums are back in action! ×

Everything starts somewhere, although many physicists disagree...

Hello all,

I love the concept of this Rebellion, I'm not 100% sure who or what we are rebelling against - but that fits perfectly with the last vestiges of my teenage "rebel for the sake of it" sentiments. I used to be a full-time PC gaming nerd and metalhead - but have moved on and am mostly a movie nerd now, along with a few favourite fiction authors (Pratchett, Gaiman etc.). To add to general nerdiness and  push fully into the geek zone I am a full-time research scientist - studying cooperative behaviour in fish for my PhD.

I found NF by just looking for a good beginner's workout, and got into reading a whole load of Steve's articles, which have encouraged me to actually get into excercise and strength training (I've always been a bit of a lazy arse up til now). More to the point, it makes everything seem much more acheivable.

I'm 24, live in Cambridge, UK - and will therefore deal with everything other than height in metric...I'm 6'2'', weigh 81kg and have no idea what my BF% is other than it's definately too high. I have very little muscle mass, strength or stamina - so very much a level 0 character, working through the opening tutorial stages of the game.

My general goals are:

Slim down and Bulk up:

As far as I understand it's tricky to do both simultaneously (correct?). SO The plan is to slim down first (i.e. lose the belly), then start some proper strength training to increase my muscle mass.

Starting plan to slim down is to work out with the Beginner Body Weight Workout 3 times a week, and do something aerobic another 3 days of each week (squash, swimming or cycling). Coupling this with tracking my food consumption and trying to run a calorie deficit should work - I hope.

Do More Sport:

At school i used to fence a lot which was great fun, but i let it slide about 5 years ago - so I'm aiming to get back into that. Some friends have also got me interested in squash and rock-climbing, so I want to get active in both of those too.

Improve Diet:

Start off with definitely reducing sugar and refined carbs, try to reduce carbs in general. Maybe try out the whole paleo thing (at least a bit - I live and eat mostly with vegetarians, paleo without meat might be too much)

Drink Less:

I've been a student for 5 years now, and used to run a bar, and drink about as much as those facts might lead you to believe. So decrease the alcohol consumption. (maybe hang around with a few more Americans - you guys seem better at this).

Learn better motivational tactics and utilise this in the rest of my life (i.e. stop procrastinating quite so much at work).

So that's me,

Time to get involved with a 6-week challenge methinks.

See you all around,

Max

Level 1 Pictsie Adventurer
[sTR: 1, DEX: 2, STA: 1, CON: 3, WIS: 5, CHA: 3]

"If you trust in yourself...and believe in your dreams...and follow your star...you’ll still be beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy" - Terry Pratchett , The Wee Free Men

Welcome to Nerd Fitness! Good to have another member of our UK division join up, I know our other members over there could use some help spreading the good word of the Fit Nerd.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Cheers mate,

I shall do my best to spread the word!

Level 1 Pictsie Adventurer
[sTR: 1, DEX: 2, STA: 1, CON: 3, WIS: 5, CHA: 3]

"If you trust in yourself...and believe in your dreams...and follow your star...you’ll still be beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy" - Terry Pratchett , The Wee Free Men

Archived