Forums are back in action! ×

Suggestions for Tabata exercises

Due to the horrific/wonderful nature of tabata exercises, I try to have a large number of different ones to use in case I can't bring myself to do any one of them (read: burpees). However, if I understand correctly, it needs to be something I can push hard and fast on (e.g. tabata planks don't work so well since the 20 seconds isn't long enough).

Currently I cycle between

* Push ups

* burpees

* squats

* bicycle crunches

* jump rope

* fast strikes to heavy bag

* step ups

Any other suggestions for exercises that would fit the tabata intervals well? Any reasons you would NOT recommend any of the above?

Due to the horrific/wonderful nature of tabata exercises, I try to have a large number of different ones to use in case I can't bring myself to do any one of them (read: burpees). However, if I understand correctly, it needs to be something I can push hard and fast on (e.g. tabata planks don't work so well since the 20 seconds isn't long enough).

Currently I cycle between

* Push ups

* burpees

* squats

* bicycle crunches

* jump rope

* fast strikes to heavy bag

* step ups

Any other suggestions for exercises that would fit the tabata intervals well? Any reasons you would NOT recommend any of the above?

I've done the first 4 as Tabatas. I don't think you'd have a problem tabataing any of those exercises.

I've also done sit-ups, rows, and some light-weight work as Tabata. I think as long as you can push hard on something, you are fine tabataing it.

It's worth noting that what we consider "Tabatas" have gotten pretty far away from the original research, which measured the protocol on only one exercise, as far as I can remember, and that's the Front Squat. Front Squats, light weight, 8 cycles for 4 minutes.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Not to be a know-it-all noob on my first post here, but Dr. Tabata originally was training speed skaters on a stationary bike (similar to the airdyne) at very strict percentages of V02 (>170%) Most of them couldn't complete the protocol for most of his research, but all saw significant aerobic and anerobic benefit.

Dan John saw the research and tried it using front squats saw great results and published.

It's an effective training mode, but unless you have a measureable power or oxygen output (similar to Dr. Tabata), or systemic load (externally loaded squats like Dan John) you're basically just doing 'rest-pause' training (a different method), and your results will vary.

Not to be a know-it-all noob on my first post here, but Dr. Tabata originally was training speed skaters on a stationary bike (similar to the airdyne) at very strict percentages of V02 (>170%) Most of them couldn't complete the protocol for most of his research, but all saw significant aerobic and anerobic benefit.

Dan John saw the research and tried it using front squats saw great results and published.

It's an effective training mode, but unless you have a measureable power or oxygen output (similar to Dr. Tabata), or systemic load (externally loaded squats like Dan John) you're basically just doing 'rest-pause' training (a different method), and your results will vary.

Right you are! I went back and checked after my first post, and saw exactly this. My first exposure to them was from Dan John, thus front squats stuck in my head. In a more recent article, I knew he expressed regret for suggesting they could be used for a lot of things, as it's sorta diluted the concept.

Yeah, if you're doing multiple sets of multiple exercises, you're probably not doing "Tabata". In this case, more stuff is not better, except for harder work within your single 8 minute session.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

I have been doing 8 sets of one exercise at a time (20 seconds full on, 10 seconds rest), just choosing the one exercise based on what state various parts of the body were in due to other activities or mood, and stringing them together serially (4 minutes complete sets push ups, 4 minutes crunches, 4 minutes squats, etc.). Is this kind of interval approach sub-optimal for these kinds of exercises? I used to do more body weight circuit type things but for whatever reason wasn't as good at pushing myself to get enough intensity.

this thread is great. thinking about incorporating some tabata in my workouts. i'm going to try doing it on the treadmill first. not ready for pukees. er...burpees.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

I have been doing 8 sets of one exercise at a time (20 seconds full on, 10 seconds rest), just choosing the one exercise based on what state various parts of the body were in due to other activities or mood, and stringing them together serially (4 minutes complete sets push ups, 4 minutes crunches, 4 minutes squats, etc.). Is this kind of interval approach sub-optimal for these kinds of exercises? I used to do more body weight circuit type things but for whatever reason wasn't as good at pushing myself to get enough intensity.

The real question is: What are you trying to accomplish? If you're trying to condition, then you need something with intensity (airdyne/sprinting/prowler/burpees) or systemic load (thrusters/front squats/kb snatch) and your intensity needs to be high enough that you're barely able to complete each 20 second interval.

If you're trying to use bodyweight exercises for muscular endurance, there are probably better ways to do it (depending on your conditioning level)

If you're trying to get stronger, there are definitely better ways.