Forums are back in action! ×

Nice to meet you. I'm Joshua. Let me tell you where I am and where I want to be.

Hi all! My name is Joshua Carmody (yeah, I'm posting with my real name). I've been reading NerdFitness casually almost since the beginning, but this is my first visit to the forums. I thought I'd introduce myself and my goals in the hopes that it'll motivate me. Here's a summary of where I am and where I'm going:

Current Stats (as of March 7, 2011)

Sex: Male (It'd be weird if a woman were named Joshua, I suppose :-) )

Height: 6'0" (182.9 cms)

Weight: 215 lbs (97.5 kilos)

Pant Waist Size: 38 inches (and the pants are a little tight!)

Current barbell squat weight: 102 pounds (for 5 sets of 5 reps)

Current bench press weight: 72 pounds (for 5 sets of 5 reps)

Number of pull-ups/chin-ups I can do: 0

Running Ability: Minimal. Heart rate skyrockets past 190 when I run for even a couple minutes. trying to work up to it.

Goals:

I aim to achieve all of the following by the end of the year (December 31, 2011)

Weight: 180 lbs

Pant Waist Size: 34 inches

Squat Weight: 270 lbs at 5 sets for 5 reps with good form

Bench Press Weight: 180 lbs at 5 sets for 5 reps with good form

Number of pull-ups/chin-ups: 10 (5 of each back to back)

Running Ability: Able to run for 30 minutes at 7mph without stopping or slowing down.

These goals seem achievable to me, provided of course that I work hard throughout the year.

My Story:

I have been overweight since my early teen years, and I work at a desk job (Web Developer) that has greatly decreased my activity level over the last decade. I've tried several times to get in shape, and I've always failed/given up at some point. Not knowing what I was doing was definitely a factor in my failures. I've learned more and more about exercise and nutrition, and I started last summer with a new full-on effort to get in shape. I got a gym membership, and renewed my dieting efforts. I worked out at the gym, although I'd say my follow-through on my workout plan was only about 60-70%. However, I started all my exercises with a 45 lbs barbell, and by early August I was squatting 180 lbs and still making progress. Unfortunately, I hit an enormous snag. In mid August I got very sick, and I remained sick for almost 4 months. The doctors think it was probably severe bronchitis, but they're still not sure. I worked as little as possible, and basically slept every minute that I wasn't working. I was coughing so hard and so frequently I sprained my chest and back muscles and could barely function. At the worst of it, moving my left arm was very painful for about 2 weeks, and coughing (which I was doing frequently) was downright excruciating. As a result, I was pretty much completely sedentary from August through December.

In January I was feeling decent, and toward the end of January I decided to return to the gym. I knew I wouldn't be able to do as much as I had 4 months prior, but I figured reducing my weight loads by one third of my previous max would be sufficient. I went to the gym and squatted 120 lbs, and did a proportional amount for my other exercises. I was able to do the exercises without too much difficulty. However, the next day I was so sore I could barely walk. It took more than a minute to go up one flight of stairs at my office building. And I remained sore for more than a week. I decided to ease in to the program slower, and I went back to my 45 lbs starting weight.

Starting at the beginning February 2011, I started my exercise program again from scratch. I started with 45 lbs or so on all excercises, and am currently squatting 102 lbs. I will post the weights of my other lifts later if people are interested. My goal is to obtain my "dream body" by the end of the year (as measured by the numbers posted above). I've missed a few days do to other complications (oral surgery, late night cram sessions), but my follow through has been pretty good so far.

My Methods:

I am doing barbell strength training based largely off of the exercises recommended by the Strong Lifts ( http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/ ) and Starting Strength programs. I do strength training 3 times per week (Sun/Wed/Fri is my goal). I alternate between A and B workouts. The A workout is squats/bench press/bent over rows. The B workout is squats/overhead press/deadlift/chin-ups or pull-ups. I do 5 sets of 5 reps for all barbell exercises. 3 sets of whatever I can do for chin-ups and pull-ups (currently involves jumping at the bar, or standing on a chair at the top of the rep and gradually lowering myself down. I can not yet lift myself up).

Starting this week, I plan to add the "couch to 5k" running program ( http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml ) to my routine. I'll spend half an hour on the treadmill on Monday/Thursday/Saturday, gradually building up to being able to run 30 minutes at a decent clip non-stop. I have to start slow because at the present time my heart rate is going alarmling high when I run.

I am dieting by counting calories. I have calculated that I burn about 2900 calories on an average day, and so I am aiming to consume 2400. Many people find calorie counting a pain, but I actually like it. I find that if I don't meticulously scrutenize and record everything I eat I'll end up adding in lots of extra stuff and not even realizing it. I don't have a strict nutrition plan, but I know that 2400 calories of french fries isn't the same as 2400 calories of tilapia, so I'm trying to just be "sensible" about the foods I choose. Fried foods and deserts only very rarely. I avoid trans-fats and simple carbohydrates, and I try to eat 120 grams of protein per day (20% of my calorie intake from protein).

My Obstacles:

I am extremely busy, and often have a hard time finding time to exercise. I have occasionally skipped a scheduled workout just because I had a bigger "fire" to put out. However, when I "restarted" in February I decided to make things easier for myself by purchasing my own squat rack, bench, and weights. I already had a pull-up bar. I can now do all my barbell and strength training in my own house, which makes it much easier to find time for it. I still go the the gym to use the treadmill. I may switch to running outdoors when the weather gets nicer.

I am hypoglycemic. This means that I have to watch my carb intake more than most people, and make sure my blood sugar is well maintained. Eating simple carbs, or anything with a high glycemic index, can make me start to feel sick. Once this starts happening, my appetite for carbs and food in general surges, and I often start eating way too much. Whenever I have a day where I totally blow my diet, I can often pin it down to a bad eating choice early in the day that started a chain reaction for the rest of the day.

My digestion is very slow, as is my father's. My Dad has gone in to have his stomach "scoped" after fasting for 16 hours, and they found there was still food in it! what this means for me is that when I eat, it often takes 2 hours or so before I no longer feel hungry. Because of this I tend to overeat if I'm not being careful.

And perhaps my biggest obstacle...

I eat out. A lot. Probably 70% of the time or more. I keep trying to cook more for myself, to take more meals at home, to brown bag at work. I have succeeded at doing this for a few days at a time, but I've never been able to make it stick. The big reasons are that I have very little time, that I often don't really know what to make or how, and that I honestly really dislike cooking. I'm still trying to change this habit. I've learned to eat a lot healthier when eating out, but I know I'd be much better off eating home-prepared meals. Also, it would help my budget too! This is one of my habits that I really want to change.

Whew! Did you actually read all that? If so, thank you! I hope I'll have a good report on my progress in the near future. Nice to meet you all!

Welcome! Glad you made your way to the boards!

You sound like you're picking up nicely where you left off after you got sick (that sounded aweful!). Good luck to you in continuing your trend of awesome! If you want, join our 28 Day Challenge (starting today!), and stay accoutable. Also, WAY more fun, you get to brag when you rock. :P

I try to eat 120 grams of protein per day (20% of my calorie intake from protein).

Your protein is still too low. If you're gaining strength, you should be eating around 1g of protein for every lb of body weight you have.

I am hypoglycemic. This means that I have to watch my carb intake more than most people

Hah. On this board, you'll fit right in. Most of us don't think grains are healthy for human beings to eat, and watch our carbs and GI very closely. It's amazing how much better you feel when you avoid them. Veggies, meat and fat for the win!

The big reasons are that I have very little time, that I often don't really know what to make or how, and that I honestly really dislike cooking.

Oh, Joshua... I know you are trying to change this habit, but know that these excuses are no different than what every one of us face. You learn by doing, you get ideas by looking, and batch cooking on Sundays is a time honoured tradition here. We have plenty of ideas for you to try!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Welcome! Time is always a crunch. Have you tried cooking with a crock pot? That might help you have at least a few days' worth of meals at the ready so you don't eat out as much. Has your doctor ever recommended/discussed digestive enzymes to help with your food processing? Or is it that everything is digesting fully, but it just takes a relatively long time?

If you have the self discipline to work out at home, you're doing better than I. I can't even make myself jump rope at the house and I actually kind of like doing that. I hope you'll keep it up. There are a lot of runners here, so you should be able to get a lot of good advice and encouragement with your C25K program, too.

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

Welcome to the Rebellion! We have another person from Michigan! Huzzah! Your goals look like they are completely reasonable, but I do agree with Alethea about your protein level. If you are trying to build muscle, you will need a lot. If you are concerned about carbs, I heartily recommend paleo/primal eating. I've dropped about 90 pounds in the last year doing it. It is easy to follow, food can be as simple or as complicated as you want it. Ditch the fast food, eat real food, and you'll kick butt in the coming year!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I was wondering, if I want to update people on my progress in the coming weeks, should I continue posting in this thread? Or is there another spot for that? Or...?

Your protein is still too low. If you're gaining strength, you should be eating around 1g of protein for every lb of body weight you have.

Your goals look like they are completely reasonable, but I do agree with Alethea about your protein level. If you are trying to build muscle, you will need a lot.

This is something I've always been confused about. I've heard strength trainers should eat 1g of protein per lb of body weight. I've also heard 1g of protein for every kilo of body weight (about 100g then, for me). The FDA recommends 64g per 2000 calories for someone who isn't necessarily trying to build strength, so I figured the figure that was roughly twice that might be right? How do I know?

It's hard to eat a lot of protein while simultaneously trying to reduce your calorie intake. But maybe I could aim for 1g of protein per lb of my target body weight (180g)? I'd be curious what people know about these targets and why there are so many different numbers out there.

Oh, Joshua... I know you are trying to change this habit, but know that these excuses are no different than what every one of us face. You learn by doing, you get ideas by looking, and batch cooking on Sundays is a time honoured tradition here. We have plenty of ideas for you to try!

Yah, I know. I don't want to just make excuses for myself, but I guess it's important to recognize your challenges so that you know what you're dealing with. I like the idea of batch cooking, but I've yet to encounter a recipe that seemed good. What recipes do you recommend?

Has your doctor ever recommended/discussed digestive enzymes to help with your food processing? Or is it that everything is digesting fully, but it just takes a relatively long time?

Good question. I honestly never really thought about it as a "problem". I just assumed it was the way I was. My Dad's doctor never did anything for him, I know. Maybe I should ask mine though. In any case, I think everything does eventually digest fully.

Welcome! Time is always a crunch. Have you tried cooking with a crock pot? That might help you have at least a few days' worth of meals at the ready so you don't eat out as much.

I actually bought a crockpot recently with this in mind, but I've yet to use it. I don't like Chili or lentils, but I'd love a good recipe. If you have something you like I'll give it a shot. I have no food allergies.

By the way, some of the things I do eat at home (since they don't require preparation) are: peanuts, low-fat cottage cheese, Chobani Greek Yogurt (blueberry), and Progresso soups (Minestrone and Chicken Noodle) in particular. I always eat about 6oz of cottage cheese following a workout.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I was wondering, if I want to update people on my progress in the coming weeks, should I continue posting in this thread? Or is there another spot for that? Or...?

We just started a new 28 day challenge that started today. That would be a good place to start posting your progress. Come up with some goals, and how you think you will achieve them. I have found that the challenges are really good for motivation and accountability.

If you don't want to do the Challenge, you can definitely update this thread. We'll poke our heads in if we see you've written something. OR, even better, post in the Woot thread if you have something braggable! We encourage bragging at every opportunity. :P IRL people don't always get it, but we do.

Here's the thing with protein. I've heard a number of different theories, but the one I hear the most often from genuine strength trainers is 1.0-1.2 g per pound. This works out to 860 calories a day, or around 30% of your daily caloric requirements. Not impossible by any means, especially if you're avoiding carbs. If your body doesn't require the protein to rebuild torn muscle, then it'll just burn it as energy. No real loss. But you want to give your body as much protein as possible so that if it DOES need it, protein is readily accessable. For you I'd recommend white meat (poultry, fish, eggs), because a lot of red meat might weigh down your digestive system too much.

That said, every body is different, and the only way to know what is best for YOU is to experiment. Try the reccommended amount for 2 weeks, and see how you feel. Hows your energy? Recovery time? Mood? Hair and skin? Pay attention to everything your body tells you. Then eat less. Then eat more. See what happens. Then tell us, because we want to know.

I understand aknowledging weak spots, as long as you don't let it slow you down. : )

Heres the world's easiest Crockpot Recipe:

Beef Roast

veggies like carrots, zuccini, onions, turnip - just chop em roughly and toss 'em in.

Fill halfway up the roast with water or beef boulion.

Salt and pepper

Turn your crockpot on low. Wait 8 hours.

Ta da! Enough roast beef to last you a week of lunches.

Cooking can be as simple or as complex as you choose to make it. : )

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Howdy there Carmondy, and welcome to the Rebellion.

I do a bunch of my cooking at night or on Sundays, when I can.

Often times, because I am very on the go, what I do is wait for the sales at the markets, and buy whatever meat is cheapest or on sale (Today, for example, I picked up pound of veal, 3.5 pds of rib eye steak (bone in) and 4 pds (give or take) of 93/7 ground beef, all of it more then half off) For all the meat, I pretty much go very simple. Spices, rubs, sometimes just Old Bay (its delicious and god's perfect spice). I then toss it in a Tupperware in the fridge and everyday bring little Tupperware containers with me, find a microwave, nuke it, and then enjoy.

Now granted, not everyone can enjoy the ecstasy of about half a pound of straight meat without side dishes, but I can, and I find its a simple way to enjoy cooking and keep myself on track. Also, music while cooking helps out a LOOOOT.

"She turned me into a newt!"

"A newt?"

"I got better..."

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NFPlex

That's NFPlex.

I am dieting by counting calories...and I try to eat 120 grams of protein per day (20% of my calorie intake from protein).

Whew! Did you actually read all that? If so, thank you! I hope I'll have a good report on my progress in the near future. Nice to meet you all!

Hey Josh, welcome!

I too am a total calorie counter. It definitely keeps me honest on a day to day scale. I've experimented with trying to not count calories and just be moderate about food but then I find myself dipping into the peanut butter just a little too much...

Like Alethea said, I would definitely up your protein to about 1g per lb of weight. It really makes a difference if you're cutting weight, plus when you eat that much protein you feel full and don't run off and eat not so healthy options.

And of course we read your post. You're part of the rebellion now.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jabba the Hupp, level 4 Dwarf Warrior

STR 21|DEX 9|STA 12|CON 9.5|WIS 5|CHA 1

[/TABLE]

My Bucket List