Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone! I've been following the blog for several weeks now, but Steve's post today inspired me to officially join the Nerd Fitness community.

I'm a 29-year-old male, tied down to a desk job. For the past few years, I've been straddled with chronic illnesses (colds, allergies, etc.), chronic injuries, and chronic stress. I used to enjoy traveling, going out with friends, and meeting new people, but these days I avoid these things because I'm tired or sick. I like to blame the long midwestern winters, but I know that isn't a good excuse (although I'd love to get out to sunny Southern California if I can).

My goal is to become stronger, and more resilient, so I can enjoy life to its fullest, and more importantly, gain the confidence I need to meet the girl of my dreams ;-)

I'm off to do a bodyweight workout now!

For the past couple of months, I've been trying to follow Paleo--I'd say I'm at 2/3 paleo right now, but there have been times I've gotten off-track. Around the same time I started taking an Omega3+Vitamin D supplement, but frankly I haven't noticed any difference. I've also been taking Vitamin C regularly. One of the things I'm not getting, however, is enough sleep. If I'm lucky I get 7 hours, but I think I'm the type that needs closer to 9. I just end up working late sometimes, or end up staying up stressing about work or something else, and it throws my sleep schedule off. I just joined the 28-day challenge, and one of my goals is to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night.

Welcome! Glad to see you in the Challenge already, and thumbs up on the goal! I'm chronically short of sleep too, and it just messes you up. How about veggies? Lots of veggies every day? Sunlight (such as one can get in winter)? Or you could have simply hit a rough patch, and you'll be great here-on-in. Who knows! Hopefully you'll sweat it out with the workouts.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

I find as I work out more, my body demands more sleep, so maybe you will be less likely to stay up stressing about work because your body will just make you pass out?

I definitely find this to be true. A good hard session of lifting will make me sleep like a baby.

Also, welcome!

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jabba the Hupp, level 4 Dwarf Warrior

STR 21|DEX 9|STA 12|CON 9.5|WIS 5|CHA 1

[/TABLE]

My Bucket List

I have to echo what is previously said. I love my hard workouts as they really wear me down and get me to fall asleep fast. Adopting a standing desk has also helped (I'm a developer, so I know all about having a desk job). Bodyweight + walking are the best starting point for anyone!

Welcome aboard!

May the Force be with You!