Forums are back in action! ×

Below 200 lbs... and after heart surgery!

jjhatch

This past monday I weighed in at 199 lbs, the first time I've been under 200 lbs in more than 10 years. And this occurred after a very hectic and stressful month.

In the middle of January I went to the doctor for what I thought was just a mild illness. Well, he wanted some blood drawn and while they were drawing it I passed out. So it was off to the ER. At the ER they thought I had pneumonia due to a spot on the chest x-ray. So I got some antibiotics and went home. Got better, but as soon as the antibiotics ended I went back to being sick. So I went to the doctor again, he suggested I go to the ER again. So I did, but to a different ER. They pulled blood, did X-rays, and even did a spinal tap. Couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. The next day they called me and said they were admitting me to the hospital for "unknown infectious disease."

Great. So we went to the hospital. They did more tests. Still couldn't figure it out. A couple of days later after some more tests they figured out that I had infective endocarditis, where bacteria gets into the blood, latches onto a heart valve, and grows a piece of vegetation. Which means I had to have open heart surgery.

Open heart surgery. At 24 years old. Yeah, I was a little freaked out. But I had an awesome surgeon who was able to actually repair the mitral valve and not replace it. That surgery was one month ago today.

I had my whole life interrupted because of this. I had lost over 70 lbs in one year (the day I was admitted into the hospital was my one year anniversary of starting to lose weight), was eating healthy, picked up running, and then this happens. I was 201.8 lbs going into the hospital. When I was discharged 10 days later, I weighed 240 lbs. That's a lot of water weight. But I lost it all in about two week thanks to diuretics, haha.

So yeah, it's been a crazy start to the year. But I'm recovering really fast, I'm doing really well in physical therapy and I should be able to start running a little bit soon, and I'm below 200 lbs.

Archived