Forums are back in action! ×

Weight Lifting Questions

eshriner

I started lifting weights again the other day. I have been benching the same amount for 2 weeks now, and instead of it getting easier (which I expected) it seems to be getting harder?

Thoughts?

Eiric S

Eiric the Mighty Fez

Human Adventurer/Cleric

LVL 1 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Battle Log | Fitocracy | Challenge 1

IF Calculator

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.†– 2 Corinthians 4:18

My diet is been pretty stable. I have given up grains, most dairy and sugar.

Have a couple of cups of coffee a weeks, mostly water.

Typical daily consumption is:

Breakfast: Eggs, Fruit & Nuts

Lunch: Left over dinner Protein, Vegetable & Fruit

Dinner: Protein, Vegetable

Snacks are usually LaraBars and/or yogurt (full fat)

Eiric the Mighty Fez

Human Adventurer/Cleric

IF Calculator

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.†– 2 Corinthians 4:18

how often are you lifting?  do you do 1RM every time or 80% 1RM? or "what is your plan/program"?

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Right now my program consists of Bench Press, Squats (body weight+), Body Weight Rows, Curls & Press and weighted stair-steps.

I do 3 sets of 8 - 12. Bench press, I am struggling to reach 8.

I am not sure what 1RM is, however?

Hope that answers the question.

Eiric the Mighty Fez

Human Adventurer/Cleric

IF Calculator

1RM is your one rep max, or the most weight you can lift once with good form.

If you stick around at one load for too long, you can get stagnant.  It's honestly more a mental thing than a physical thing.  The idea with resistance training ins that you want progressive overload, or always exerting more effort over time.  So instead of sticking with one weight for several weeks and letting it get easier, you'd probably be better off, especially if you're just starting, by ensuring that you're increasing the load each week.

Ranges like 8-12 is OK in many regards, but I think when you're getting going that a more precise target number would be better.  

So, let's say you want 8.  Drop the weight a little, so that you KNOW you can get 3x8.  Next session, add a bit of weight, either 2.5 or 5 pounds.  And then next session, the same, and so on.  You want to build that momentum, so if your first few sessions seem easy, no worries; think of it like a "running start" before hitting personal records every session.

Make sense?

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Thank you. I do not think I am at my 1RM, but maybe I should back off just a little on the weight.

Using the app at ExRx.net, I am at 80% of my max now.

Eiric the Mighty Fez

Human Adventurer/Cleric

IF Calculator

Archived