Forums are back in action! ×

Eggs! and Tadpoles

Vian

This is one of the two tads dated with a hatch date of 1/7

Tadtwo3-12_zps0fde708d.jpg

And the eggs...

3/12

AzureusEggs3-12_zps1edaa761.jpg

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

They get absorbed back into the body. After their little front legs pop out of the pouch on the front of their body, they will spend another 2 weeks or so absorbing their tail and making all the last few changes into frogs, and then they'll climb out of the water. Once I see their front legs, I will lower the water level in their little cups and put the cups into the tank where they will be living.

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

The first ventrimaculata tad got it's right front leg out of the pouch and it looks like the left one isn't far behind.

Tadtwo3-13_zps16791ce5.jpg

And the Azureus eggs for 3/13. You can see 3 of the 5 eggs they laid for me the other day.

AzureusEggs3-13_zps1445e726.jpg

LOOK AT THE CUTENESS, OH MAH GOSH!  :DDDDD

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

:D The first one has both front legs, and now the second frogpole has popped one of it's front legs

Tadtwo3-14_zps432c4396.jpg

Azureuseggs3-14_zps9bfee870.jpg

The azureus tads hatched today but I didn't get a picture of them.

I also caught my first vent tad completely out of water today clinging to the side of it's cup, but it dove back into the water when I went to grab my camera. Same thing happened this evening when I checked on them again. It's tail is almost gone.

DSCN1768_zpsa24d90c6.jpg

DSCN1767_zpse8a6f429.jpg

He just hasn't decided that he wants to. I put the small cup that he's in into the 10 gallon grow-out tank, so he's free to get out of the cup at any time, he's just not ready yet I guess.

The babies with yellow stripes are currently about the size of a pea. It takes about 8-10 months to get to full size, which will be about the size of a penny. The blue frogs are much larger, about 1.5" long.

DSCN1774_zpsabcf8fa9.jpg

I am so glad you are sharing these pictures with us.  When you see these frogs at zoos etc. they are always adults. Of course, I may have missed the young ones!  What kind of insects do they eat when they are this size?

"It is hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off"

Florence and the Machine

I am so glad you are sharing these pictures with us.  When you see these frogs at zoos etc. they are always adults. Of course, I may have missed the young ones!  What kind of insects do they eat when they are this size?

I seeded the tank that the babies are in with springtails and I'm feeding the springtails mushrooms covered in vitamin powder. The springtails are very small and perfect for newly morphed babies. I'll also be feeding them flies from my old fly cultures, which are smaller than those from a fresh fly culture.

First baby has ventured out of the cup and is hunting springtails

DSCN1776_zpse25c44e0.jpg

DSCN1780_zps8d8faa49.jpg

And second baby is starting to explore out of the water

DSCN1778_zps7b8812c8.jpg

Yeah, I seeded the tank about 3 or 4 weeks ago with springtails and put some chunks of mushroom in for them to eat and the floor of the tank is crawling with baby springs. I'll make a feeding station for the springs with chopped mushroom and vitamin powder so that they can get gut loaded so the baby frogs can get their vitamins.

I spotted the first little one to have left it's cup. The second one could if it wanted to but is being timid.

DSCN1860_zps74591151.jpg

DSCN1861_zps57ba442a.jpg

Yes, they will lay their eggs on a broad leaf or something and when the tadpoles hatch, the parents will pick them up and put the tadpoles onto their backs, then transport them to the cup of a bromilead, or other small deposit of water. The tadpoles will then eat whatever bugs and algae are in the brom, or the sire will call the female over to the brom and she will lay a sterile egg in the water for the tadpoles to eat.

Archived