Forums are back in action! ×

Getting to 10% body fat

KingZora

Hey everyone,

I have always been a pretty athletic person and just never really had the diet focus to get myself into amazing shape.  I wanted to change all of that and so I started a bet with a friend of mine to motivate me more to really jump into things.  Now I am questioning whether it is even possible or not to complete the bet without doing anything that is unhealthy!  I was hoping to get some input from others that have tried (and hopefully succeeded) on whether this is doable, and if there's anything in particular I should be doing.

The bet is to make it to 10% body fat by May 24th.  It is already a few weeks into the bet at the moment and I am at roughly 17% body fat at 5'11" and 170lbs, I can definitely say that over the last few weeks I have been making good progress, already losing a little over 2% fat and putting on some muscle.  I am afraid that this quick loss will plateau and leave me at an impossible task as I get down around 13 or 14% though.

Currently I am lifting 3 days a week and getting in the pool for a bit of endurance and sprinting another 2.  I am following the paleo diet and have a 600-900 calorie deficit on average each day.  Currently I am just planning to hold course and hope for the best, but if anyone has any input I would appreciate it!

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Judging by where I am now, and how much I weighed when I was a college swimmer, I get the impression that I have never been below the 13%ish area.  So I assumed that it would be more difficult to lose as I got to the low numbers.

What do you mean by a refeed?

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

What do you mean by a refeed?

Usually a planned high calorie, high carb meal(s). They are used to periodically raise leptin levels as well as glycogen stores. The timing of refeeds (every couple of days or weeks) depends on a couple of factors but mostly BF% levels. The higher the BF the less frequent the refeed.

In case anyone else might be looking for similar information as I am, I found these two articles on Mark's Daily Apple that explain the reasoning behind this better. 

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-should-i-increase-carb-intake-for-weight-loss/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/carb-refeeding-and-weight-loss/#axzz21hBUtC00

From the looks of it I will start doing this once a week once I get down to 15%... or sooner if I notice myself stalling.  But for now I am maintaining a deficit without being hungry and haven't noticed any decrease in my energy levels so it seems like this isn't necessary right now.

Thanks for the advice 80's Medium and Waldo!

Any other tips and tricks worth knowing about?

Archived