Forums are back in action! ×

Developing Ladder workout for my regimen

So recently as I read through a few threads that discussed ladders I thought I'd work them into my workout in an effort to maximize my efforts and start getting to that pure 'exhaustion point'. So usually when I do these machine exercises I do 2 x 12, but tonight I want to start developing myself in a more beneficial way, but don't get ladders (pyramid, whatever). So here's what I have going tonight (yes its all machine, but we'll fix that later)

Lat Pulldown: Currently at 100 lbs

Seated Row: Currently at 90 lbs

Lower Back Extension: Currently at 230 lbs

Bicep Curl: Currently at 90/45 (Right/Left Arm) lbs

ok, sorry for the late reply. works been INSANE.

Now, disclaimer: Though I do these all the time, I'm pretty sure I don't do them to the book on how they're supposed to be done, but since I've gotten good results, I keep doing them the way I have :)

ladders and pyramids are actually different, ladders you just go up, pyramids you go down too.

i do everything in some sort of ladder method, but i consider the first half warmups.

you're doing things 2x12, but if you are truly going for strength, you want to be doing a weight at the end where you can only lift it 1-3 times.

i know your situation is different, so i won't give you crap about the machines :)

lets say the lat pulldowns for example because 100 is an easy number.

if you use a calculator like this: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

your 1RM is probably around 135.

I honestly am not great with math on the fly, and dont have time for proper planning, so I just wing it when I go.

I usually don't do more than 5 reps on ladders.

I always warm up with just the bar, which is 45lbs.

So... for lower weights I usually go up about 20lbs a set.

If I was going for my 1RM, for this I'd probably end up doing 45x5, 75x5, 95x3, 115x3, 125x1, 135x1

Which looking at the math on that site, is about 65%, 73%, 85%, 95%, then 100%

I think I typically warm up too much though.

For much higher weights, I go up 30-40lbs per set. It's keeping the percentages the same - so if you're lifting 200lbs vs 100lbs, you will want to go up more weight per set. If that makes sense.

I usually do at least 10 of my first warmup weight after the bar at the very end as a cool-down set, regardless of if its a pyramid or a ladder I love my cool-down sets.

And yeah. As I said, I usually just wing it and try to do some sort of math in my head...

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Although I've never done much weightlifting, Pavel's original article about Grease The Groove talked about the Bench Press and other movements, so the same definitely applies.

http://talkback.stomp.com.sg/forums/showthread.php?t=10779

Using the One Rep Max Calculator, your One Rep Max is around 135, while your 5 Rep Max will probably be around 130 Pounds according to this: http://www.naturalphysiques.com/tools.php?itemid=18

(I use this calculator because it doesn't limit you to 10, although I have used both successfully).

So, you could do a Pyramid of: 1-5-1=25, or the Spezzy way which I believe is: 5-1-5=29

Either way you can do well.

Try doing a Pyramid at 125 or 130 for a week or two and test your max on a separate day than your workout.

As for the other exercises you have listed, the same still applies.

Good Luck!