Forums are back in action! ×

What do you do with expensive animals?

ride_uphill

I'm overwhelmed with debt, and I have a dilemma I never see addressed anywhere.  I have cut all my expenses as much as humanly possible, however I live on a small farm and we have animals.  And we have a few older or middle aged animals who no one wants, and who are expensive and do not bring any money in.  If I had no conscience I'd put them down, but I do happen to have a conscience so I spend a stupid amount of money on useless animals each month.  I've also racked up thousands in vet bills... how do you say no when an animals life depends on you coming up with a measly $100 or $500 or whatever?  It's mainly a couple of horses who are the biggest issue - and they cost upwards of $600 per month right now.  I feel super stuck - they literally have nowhere to go but here, and I've owned them for many years and am attached and can not bear them having anything but a pleasant ending when their time comes.  For now they're older and retired and happily living out life, but it's a daily struggle for me to survive at least partially because of them.  I don't really expect anyone to have much of a solution I guess... I suppose I just wanted to vent.

If the vet bill gets too big- I'd put it them down.

I have a max limit on my animals or it's the needle.  The cats are 500$ each (or if something happens simultaneously  the Ethiopian cancer stick gets the needle since she's older anyway).

The horse.  Well if the horse has to go to New Bolton (vet clinic) then that's it- I'm done. I can't afford horse vet bills.  He's 20 and in fine health- but I just couldn't foot a huge four digit bill.  

I feel your pain though- my horse is my baby- I've had him since he was 3 months old- but I don't ride any more really- he just sucks money up.  See if you can find a pasture board facility- or maybe therapeutic riding centers (no promises from anyone there though obviously) but at least some one can share the cost.  i board at someone's house too- so I don't have to shuck out tons of money at a big barn- it definitely helps.   

Learning how to trim and do your own shots can help too. 

<hug> it's a tough place to be for sure. 

My favorite farm girl blog is this one: http://ohiofarmgirl.blogspot.com/

She's a very utilitarian farmer lady. Other than dog food, butter, and small bits of animal feed, her farm sustains itself entirely on its own produce. As soon as her animals can't haul their weight, she eats them. 

http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2013/01/confessions-of-secret-goat-butcherer.html

Might be an option? 

Level 4 Human Ranger

Str: 8 Dex: 2  Con: 4.5  Int: 9.5 Wis: 8.5 Cha:  2  Sta: 5

eating horse flesh in the US is a particularly bad idea.  The stuff usually used to maintain their health is not regulated by anyone (some of the products are very specific when they say DO NOT USE ON ANIMALS INTENDED FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. 

as a horse owner I'm not particularly opposed to eating flesh like many are- but I do think it's not a great idea unless you can verify the chemicals that have gone into that animals body (wormers/pain meds/antibiotics etc etc)  Otherwise- agreed- there is a point where you kind of have to call it. 

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Unfortunately I can't use them for lessons or anything - they are actually horses I used to teach on but they are too old to work anymore.  I have nothing against eating animals of any type, but I personally can not eat horse - I train horses and it just isn't gonna happen.  Also, morally I can not have these horses butchered to be eaten, they deserve a nice retirement after working hard and making money for me for years.  And one of them is on painkillers every day and no one should eat that...   Unfortunately it's not really possible to rehome "useless" horses - they are too expensive and there are way more old, useless horses than there are people with enough money and knowledge to take care of them.  Euthanizing seems to be the only option.  One mare is 30 and she is getting very, very arthritis so her time is soon.  But the other is only 15 so I will keep trying to figure something out for her.  Thankfully she can be very lightly ridden still, so maybe someone will want her.  I've been searching for a new home for her for months now.  Sigh.  Luckily for me though, my house is getting refinanced this week AND I just got a new better paying job, so things are looking up! 

If the 15 year old is still sound and healthy, a therapeutic riding program might be a good option. They're always looking for donations of good lesson horses. Check out Path International to look into programs in your area. 

If she has major soundness issues... that's a different story, unfortunately. Keep looking for homes for her, you might find someone looking for a pasture companion or something that the grand kids can ride around when they're visiting. Good home are out there, it just takes work to find them. 

As far as saving money... besides doing your own routine vet work (shots, wormer, etc.) I don't know that there are a lot of ways to make horses cheaper! Mine are slowly draining my bank accounts as well! 

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

Sad to say the choices for old horses are few. We've had to put down 4 in the last year and are down to 3 left. Our rule was to not get or breed a horse unless we were willing to care for it for its entire life. If we had a major issue I'd euthanize them before risking my own financial security. Sorry to be harsh but that is the way it is. 

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Archived