Forums are back in action! ×

Life without food?

katpower

If it were properly tested/studied, I might would give it a go for breakfast, but probably not. I think the greatest benefit would be to people like my 82 year old grandmother with Alzheimer's whose jaw is deteriorating making it difficult for her to consume solid foods. If I could make her some of this liquid for breakfast to take her pills with, I could know definitively that she is at least getting proper nutrition.

Also, my mom has taken to consuming shakes and power bars from GNC as all but one meal a day, if this was a cheaper/healthier alternative, I think she would probably go for it. 

The goop will have bad associations for her, though.  Goop for me is always "yay, mad science!"

(Darth Wheelchair? That sounds like some pimpin' wheel disk art :) )

Actually, I'd be more inclined to think she had bad associations with swallowing real food, considering she's high aspiration risk with acid erosion to the gullet, but she's a young lady of definite opinions, and she associates goop with being ill, we think, hence the preference for real food.

As for the Darth Wheelchair thing... nope, not wheel disks, halloween! We took her to my dad's in our adapted car, playing the Star Wars soundtrack, and stopped at some lights. The Imperial March came on, and she treated the car next door to a -very- slow head turn so she was looking right at them. I've never seen a car that small pull away on green that quickly in my life!

20090728_24_zps691014b9.jpg

P.S. Yep, happy meal balloon. No happy meals were consumed in the making of this photo.

Honestly... I love this idea to death. 

It's far easier to cut and bulk with an entirely new type of food-format. Especially if that food format is singular in that it's adequately measurable. You know when you've gone over... 
Eating actual food on non-soylent leasure days or evenings... 

It would take some getting used to... I'd certainly expect 3-7 days of adjustment... but really.  I will definitely do this.
-----

I realize this isn't a new idea... but the way it's sprouted up gives it some gravitas.

Will surely give it a try. SURELY. 

Archived