Forums are back in action! ×

Well, hey there.

Greetings from the land of no water and way too much sun (Tucson)! I'm studying friendship and women at the University of Arizona, which is pretty time consuming. I go to class in my free time.

I've been reading the articles over here for about eight months--not for fitness advice, but instead because when I hear super awesome stories about people who can overcome their past and lose half their body weight, I realize that I can probably, you know, find the willpower to do my homework.

A lot of the material here is geared toward weight loss, which is not my problem (quite the opposite), but I think that picking a community will help me stay encouraged to build functional fitness. (Or at least guilt me into it). Steve's message is good. I also feel very self-conscious in gyms, so Nerd Fitness's focus on bodyweight strength training appeals to me.

My main challenge is to improve my upper body and core strength. I started (kind of) tracking my fitness a couple days ago by seeing what levels I'm at on the Angry Birds Workout, and found that my strength is evidently horribly mismatched. I can do 40-rep sets of jump squats, but I couldn't do more than one real pull up! Maybe I should pedal my bicycle with my hands instead. But then it might be tough to steer.

I look forward to watching neat people improve their lives. It will inspire me to better my own.

Nice to have you around Rafv. I know how you feel about wanting to bulk up. If you've been reading the blog posts you'll know that diet is 80% of success, regardless of if you are wanting to lose or gain weight.

Its a good idea to get yourself into a routine with your body weight exercises. Gyms aren't necessary unless you are set on being a tank. you can gain a lot from body weight exercises.

Any way, good luck and have fun!

-Hitchie.

Welcome aboard.  We have a number of active posters in the Phoenix area (Loren Wade prime among them).  Have you checked out the Rangers forum for bodyweight information?

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Archived