Forums are back in action! ×

Kung Fu help needed!

Hi rebels,

Is anyone on here currently training (or has done) kung fu? Specifically, I'm looking for anyone familiar with Wing Chun Kung Fu, though as that's the only kind of kung fu I've done, I'm not sure how much it differs from other schools.

Long story short, I've been training for nearly a year and I still feel like a beginner, and in April we have an "exam" to level up in our kung fu class. It consists of doing 60 push-ups in 60 seconds (yikes), followed by the Siu Lim Tao from memory. I've been traveling for the past month and while I have tried to keep my strength up by following Steve's hotel room workouts, I'm scared I've forgotten half the forms and I won't be able to do the required push-ups.

Are any other rebels kung fu fighters? Do you guys have any advice, or perhaps have run across good instructional videos?

Thanks in advance,

Anna

BILDUNGSROMAN:ROGUE MONK LVL 4

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 8 | CON: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 3Current Challenge | Bildungsroman's Epic Life | Fitocracy | My blog

Anna,

Actually yes, I had trained in Wing Chun for a few years before moving to my present home. I found that Randy Williams books on Wing Chun Gung Fu are very complete and that his 26 DVD series also allows a student to not only understand movement and theory completely. It also helped that Sifu Williams also trained my Sifu directly.

I mean if there is any specific advice I can offer, feel free to message me.

Cool, thanks for the advice, I'll check out the Randy Williams DVDs.

My Sifu is awesome but we have a pretty big class (25-30 people usually), so it's hard to get individual feedback to make sure I'm doing the forms correctly.

BILDUNGSROMAN:ROGUE MONK LVL 4

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 8 | CON: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 3Current Challenge | Bildungsroman's Epic Life | Fitocracy | My blog

Sure, I totally understand. The form can be very tricky as you can either go through the motions or you can see little things in it that go unnoticed. I'm still trying to figure out the little thing at the end that I keep missing (My instructor picked on me for 15 minutes about it, but the man is like a father to me so its all good). Have you had the opportunity to do Lop Sau drills or any Metronome exercises? How's your footwork? (I tell you this is just so key, especially when you get into the dummy forms)