Forums are back in action! ×

Has anyone completed a Spartan race or anything similar? I've got a Spartan Sprint coming up in a week and I'm getting pretty pumped! This is immediately after an ankle sprain so I'm also pretty nervous because I haven't been able to train as intensively as I would have liked...

Any recommendations on:

What to wear? Running vs. crosstrainers? Loose vs. Baggy? Less vs. more?

What to expect? Am I legitimately going to get destroyed? Did you love it? Hate it?!

What to eat? I've never competed in anything so intense for such a long duration. What should I eat beforehand if my race is at 10am?

Lvl.2 Adventurer & Aspiring Warrior/Ranger! <3

STR-5

DEX-5

STA-5

CON-3

WIS-5

CHA-5

If you scour the Spartan site, they have recommendations.  Due to the amount of mud and water involved, they say wear as little as you are comfortable wearing, and it should be as form fitting as you feel comfortable with.  This will be less weight and less drag.  Also  they recommend trail running shoes.  They are their own thing.  Running shoes seem to fall apart.  I will be running my first one in April (Indiana) and will do it in trail boots as I want the ankle support and I am not worried about my time, just getting through it.

What to eat.  If it is a Sprint, then really if you have calories in you and have a post run meal, you will be fine, just make sure you are hydrated.  If it is longer, look at what marathon runners eat.  Carb loading is common.

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

Man, Myth, Legendary Hero

Ogre Level 5 .....do Ogres have any class?

www.mydatewithnatalieportman.com

Love much, this will all be over in a minute :love_heart:

I've done quite a few adventure races.

What to wear:  Less is best.  We prefer compression/tight tops and tight shorts.  I wear volleyball shorts.  You will be wet, muddy, etc and cotton and baggy shorts will weigh you down.  Seriously.  First run I did with friends and the one guy just tossed his cotton t because it was practically to his knees and we weren't halfway done.  Tight, light fabric.  BTW, depending on time of year and location, you might get cold.  Plan to dress warmly after.  

Shoes:  wear old shoes you are really comfortable in.  They will also be wet, muddy, etc.  So plan on that.  If you have sensitive feet, be sure you are using old broken down shoes b/c you'll be running in wet socks and they will rub.  I wore a super old pair to one run and tossed them after (they have a bin).  I actually hang on to old shoes for these things.  BUT keep in mind, you'll be doing some amount of trail running.  I've seen guys try to do it in boots and vibrams.  Unless that is your normal MO for trail running, I wouldn't advise it.

Food:  It depended on my wave time.  If before noon, I ate a bit of a snack (some nuts, a piece of fruit) but otherwise went fasted.  BUT that's my normal MO for morning workouts.  Afternoon wave - I ate a paleo breakfast early in the day and nothing until after the race.  Unless you are doing a long race, you'll be fine.  Promise.  Eat like you normally would for a heavy workout at X time of day.  BUT hydrate very well the day before and morning of.  A lot of these races don't have a ton of water stations.  You'll be fine but still... reasonable hydration the day before. 

As for training - yikes!  Sucks about the ankle.  You might want to wrap it for peace of mind.  I've run some where the trail run was pretty tame (groomed gravel mostly) and one where the run was highly technical and exceptionally difficult and people were dropping like flies just on the run (it was only 5K but really hard terrain).  Go slow in the crazy parts.  It's less about time and more about fun.  You'll have a lot more fun if you can keep the ankle happy.  Be prepared for slippery surfaces -  mud pits, etc.  As for training... meh.  You'll see all kinds of folks out there.  You'll also be surprised at how many people skip obstacles.  Finally, you'll only run a short period before you have to do an obstacle.  Usually you don't have crazy long runs.  So good for the ankle.  And I have a bum ankle, so I usually hit up the first aid tent right after, explain I have a bum ankle etc etc and ice for 10-15 mins before changing. 

You'll have so much fun!  I'm doing a spartan this summer. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Thigh chaffing sucks!  Especially when you have mud and sand in between to act like sand paper!  I would say tight shorts or leggings to protect the "beauties" I just wore jogging shorts and they were great except that they were loose and gave me no protection.

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

I've completed 6 Spartan Sprints and a Super Spartan...I love them. I plan on doing the trifecta as soon as possible when I get back stateside.

What to wear: It's like everyone said, as little as you are comfortable with and form fitting. You're going to get dirty. I ran one it Vibrams but I wouldn't recommend it if you have done a lot of training in them. I would say pick up a pair of trail shoes and get them broken in before the race. Some people chuck 'em when they are done but hey it's just a little mud and grime. Your choice.

What to expect: A great time! To meet some awesome people! Other than that it depends on your fitness level. I find the Spartan Sprints to be only slightly challenging but then I don't really run for time either. I just like to get out there and run with people and have fun. The Super was pretty rough but definitely still doable. It all depends on you and your attitude.

What to eat: For a 10am race time I would say have a nice supper and a light snack in the morning. Afterwards it's F'ing chow time though. I'm always starving after a race.

Lvl 1 Human Ranger

STR - 2  DEX - 2

STA - 2  CON - 3

WIS - 2  CHA - 4

"The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny."

I have not worn minimalist shoes or vibrams to one of these races, so take the following with a grain of salt.

Trail conditions for these things vary widely and construction of the obstacles varies widely.  I've been on terrain that was super rocky, gravel, etc.  I've been in ponds with rocks, stream beds, etc.  Very sharp, very pointy, very hard to run on.  Oh, and one mud pit I was in was filled with gravel at the bottom.  We were really banged up. 

If you train regularly on off road hard terrain runs (and I mean rocks) in the vibrams, you'll be okay most likely.  But if you road run or do light off roading (like in a meadow or groomed trail), I'd encourage rethinking the vibrams.

Also, think about traction - I don't know how they are when wet on obstacles. 

I work nike frees to one race and was fine and traditional running shoes to the others.  One pair I ran in was super old and ready to go, so I tossed them.  The others I rinsed really well with a hose and then tossed in the washing machine. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

The traction was good in the wed- I've been hiking in mine before- I also didn't have much issue running on gravelly surfaces- but I only ran one 5k in a truly "off road" state.  I'm pretty lazy about running- I just don't do it at this point- but I was curious as to the "down sides" outside the obvious- your feet might hurt LOL

The traction was good in the wed- I've been hiking in mine before- I also didn't have much issue running on gravelly surfaces- but I only ran one 5k in a truly "off road" state.  I'm pretty lazy about running- I just don't do it at this point- but I was curious as to the "down sides" outside the obvious- your feet might hurt LOL

Which ones do you wear?

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

I have the older KSO (the ones with the treads) that I ran/hiked in.  (mini edit- I did everything in them but in referance to this conversation- I did my outdoor events in this pair)

My current ones.. oh- I don't know the name... hold on- let me google.

bikila ls- the men's.

I haven' taken these outside yet.

Why would you say no to vibrums unless you train in them a lot?

That's not the first time I've read that- I would have thought they would have been great for it.

How did your run in them go- what did you like/dislike about it?

I wore the KSOs on my run and it wasn't bad but I train mostly in minimalist style footwear. I made it out fine but a friend that was running with me (we were all wearing KSOs) got pretty banged up. It's not that the shoes are a bad choice you just need to be used to running in them.

So I say if you have worn them and want to do it go for it but if this is your first pair and you just got them I might fall back on some more traditional shoes. That's just one man's opinion though.

Oh I was wondering, has anyone worn them on a long distance (multi-day) hike?

Lvl 1 Human Ranger

STR - 2  DEX - 2

STA - 2  CON - 3

WIS - 2  CHA - 4

"The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny."

Archived