Forums are back in action! ×

FILA Skele-Toes

riotgrly

Sooo...anyone else tried these? Takeoffs on the Vibrams, of course, but I'd never seen them till yesterday.

A shoe store near me is moving, so everything was 50% or more off, making these something like $23, which I figured was low enough to take the risk. I'd never worn Vibrams either, and am actually pretty new to fitness in general, so I was just glad I had one pair of New Balance runners that fit.

The Skeletoes have several styles, and all of them have 4 toe slots nstead of 5, putting the pinky and 4th toe together. Hmm. They also have styles that almost look like a regular running shoe sole except the toes then other styles down to bare minimum, feet just about on the ground styles.

I'm only so bold with my $23 and I went with the ones most like running shoes. You can't wear socks with them, of course, and I wore them out last night to just hang out for St. Paddy's. I noticed that if you're just sitting and hanging out, they're HOT and the elasic adjustor laces start digging into the tops of your feet. Not much hope for this morning's run but I went with it.

They were REALLY good! I was pleasantly surprised. I have trouble with my knees, trouble with my feet, flat arch in one foot, you name it. It took me forEVER to learn to mid-foot strike and stop giving myself bursitis. Seriously, I'm a runner's nightmare.

But these were really comfortable. That same warmth that made me crazy last night kept my toes from freezing this morning (40 degrees and windy here today), and there was good padding around the heel to prevent chafing. A tiny bit of rubbing between my right fourth and pinky toe, but due to my fallen arch I get that in virtually every shoe I wear. The arches were supportive enough that I could run without cramming my othotic in there. I'm pleasantly surprised and plan to go back today to get a second pair to have when these wear out. I mean...$23 bucks.....seriously.

Has anyone else tried and loved or hated these????

riotgrly

LEVEL 2

Half-Elf STR 5 || DEX 2 || STA 4 || CON 4 || WIS 4 || CHR 2.5

I own a pair and love them. My ex had a pair and loved them too. You can buy toe socks to wear with them which is what I do. All in all they are one of my fave shoes. I don't wear sneakers or anything without an hard sole.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nocturnis, Level 1 Half Elf Ranger

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

[/TABLE]

I heard/seen they are significantly stiffer soled than vibrams- they look much cheaper too as far as construction quality.  I would (from my limited vantage) use them a. see if you like them.  b. use them for toddling about rather than serious work outs. c. give it a shot regardless (at 23 bucks at least you have a pair of kicking about shoes) LOL But I wouldn't run in them- me personally I wouldn't.  There are a few guys who train in theirs- but I've never seen anyone running in them.  They look god uncomfortable for that!

They are fairly stiff soled, but with all my foot and leg troubles, that seems to be an asset. I now have two pairs, one more like a regular shoe and one closer to the minimalist vibram style. I haven't tried the second pair yet. the negative heel to toe balance seems to be good for me too. I'm really liking them more for running than anything else-they don't seem as good for just working out (like wearing to lift weights in) for me. I have always disliked toe socks, so I've been wearing them barefoot, which is NOT something I usually do with sneakers, but it seems to be working out-they seem breathable enough for it. I'll see how my knees feel in a few weeks.....

riotgrly

LEVEL 2

I went sockless for my first pair- and LOVED it.

Then they started to smell- it was so bad it permeated everything- even if I wore them for like 5 minutes- my feet stank for hours.  I was very hesitant to get the socks because I don't care for toe socks in regular day to day life- but I was pleasantly suprised at how much they didn't bother me.

So I bought 2 more pairs and now I rotate between vibrams and my new balance minimalism shoe since I only have 3 pairs of toe socks.  Never again with no socks.  

Toe socks drive me NUTS....but so do stinky shoes.....however, I'm also one to throw shoes in the washer first and check to see if that's ok for them later, so that may be what I end up doing here if I need to.....

riotgrly

LEVEL 2

yeah I was suprised the toe socks didn't piss me off- I love them- wouldn't go anywhere without them.

My poor KSO's they are boned- no amount of washing will fix them :(   they are pretty much just scared for life as it is.  oh well- I use them for emergencies- if I do a mud run- I'll use though. maybe the mud will help!

I've owned a pair for almost a year now and I use them for running quite a bit. When I first got them I had to wear toe socks with them because of blisters. After they were broken in really good they didn't do that so the socks became unnecessary. They are a bit stiff soled but just like the blister thing it got better with time. They have held up really well for all the abuse I've put them through. So, i'd recommend them. 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Archived