Forums are back in action! ×

Girl on a mission!

Hi all :) I'm a 20 year old woman from the UK, and I started lifting approximately 2 months ago, originally because I wanted to start getting fit in order to go through selection to be an armed forces officer next year, but found that I could not do a single push up! Before then I was relatively fit because I played a lot of sport, but only ever ate processed junk foods and fizzy drinks. I was very much in the skinny-fat category, believing I could eat what I wanted because I didn't put weight on. 

I decided that I needed to overhaul my life if I wanted to reach my goal of getting into the forces and be able to physically compete with the men. I completely changed my diet, I now eat vegetables with most meals (I never touched them previously!), only ever drink water and try to keep anything grain-based to a minimum. I still have slip ups every so often and slip into typical student eating habits, but since those changes I feel far more energetic and well, the difference is amazing.  

I roughly follow the starting strength programme, but have only started bench press and squatting in the past month as I found them very scary! To date I can deadlift 95kg, bench 45kg and squat 65kg. I have discovered a love for lifting and have become committed to getting more weight on the bar each week. Since I started lifting I can do 16 press ups in one go which feels like a real achievement to me, and hope that this will keep increasing as my upper body strength does. It feels really empowering as a female to feel my body getting stronger each week. My next goal is to master pull ups! 

This website is what originally motivated me to try lifting, and has since been a real source of inspiration and encouragement. I look forward to posting and learning more about fitness and eating, and about other people who are working towards similar health and fitness goals as me :) 

Thanks for reading! 

I don't know why, but I love how you guys call them fizzy drinks, or fizzy pop as Jamie Oliver is always saying.  But I digress...

Congratulations on your progress thus far.  It's always nice to see more women that aren't afraid to get under a barbell.  Keep up the great work, and keep us posted.

None but a coward dares to boast that he has never known fear.   

-Ferdinand Foch

I don't know why, but I love how you guys call them fizzy drinks, or fizzy pop as Jamie Oliver is always saying.  But I digress...

Congratulations on your progress thus far.  It's always nice to see more women that aren't afraid to get under a barbell.  Keep up the great work, and keep us posted.

Yeah when I went to the USA it was so strange to hear people calling them soft drinks! It sounds so much more formal but nice. "Fizzy pop" reminds me of going to birthday parties as a kid ha.

Thanks very much :)

Archived