Forums are back in action! ×

De-lurking

Hi there, I'm officially de-lurking. I grew up overweight, eventually lost 50 lbs. I've had an on/off again relationship with fitness. I've done the gym rat thing, did a few triathlons/duathlons in 2010, and then in 2012 I ran a full marathon. I crashed pretty hard after my marathon and I've gained about 20 lbs since then. Part of it was because I was really overtrained, the other part is some pretty big life changes that happened and I started back into my binging behaviours. I'm ready to take control of my health. Rather than an "I've got to go on a diet" mentality, I realize this is a permanent change. I've been taking the mantra, "level up your life" pretty seriously and apply it to not just fitness, but to every aspect of my life. I realized last weekend when I turned down going out with friends to stay home by myself and binge that I definitely need to turn things around. So, howdy. :)

level 7 ranger | battle log | challenges: 1

Welcome aboard!  I'm a noob around here too, but you'll find tons of great info and everyone is really helpful and kind.  Do you have any specific training goals in mind?  Are you just looking to regain a healthy level of fitness, or are you trying to get back into marathon shape?

None but a coward dares to boast that he has never known fear.   

-Ferdinand Foch

That's a good question! I wasn't very specific, was I? I definitely do not plan on doing a marathon this year but I would like to plan for a half marathon in the fall. If the half marathon doesn't happen I won't be too upset, I would really like to make running FUN again. Toward the end of my marathon training last year running felt like such a chore and I didn't like it at all. That made me a bit sad, as it was something I really enjoyed before that. So rather than concentrate on a specific race I will be putting a lot more emphasis on running for enjoyment.

I am also going to strength train 3x a week...I'm pretty weak right now and I felt much better when I had some muscle. I enjoy spin and I attend one class a week. 

Thanks for the welcome! :)

level 7 ranger | battle log | challenges: 1

Sounds like you're going to be a good fit with the Rangers for right now, and it's good that you have an idea of what you want.  I'm sure you'll find plenty of help and encouragement to meet those goals around here, and everyone seems to be focused on having fun with what they do so you might find some new, fun ideas you hadn't considered.  As far as the strength training goes, just pick a program like strong lifts or starting strength.  Either one will keep it pretty simple while giving you good results for building a strength foundation.  Also, there is a form check section of the forum if you are unsure if you're doing something wrong or if you want to get a better idea of how the movements should work.

None but a coward dares to boast that he has never known fear.   

-Ferdinand Foch

Archived