Forums are back in action! ×

Getting into Hypnotic Shape

Well hello everyone!

So I'll just jump right in, I've been on a journey for a while now to get my body into adventuring shape.  I had pretty limited results until I stumbled upon Mark Sisson's work at the Primal Blueprint, which has a lot in common with the paleo way of eating.  It was a complete thunderbolt to my brain.  I didn't really buy the whole "fat is good for you" thing at first, but I decided I didn't really have much to lose (other than weight) so I tried it. 

And I lost 37 lbs in 4 months.  That's what is referred to as a convincer. 

I am still working on taking the body fat down, but my goals are now moving beyond just losing fat to losing fat and getting RIPPED.

I'm an occasional gamer, my favorites being the Mass Effect series, Assassin's Creed series, and Fire Emblem series.  I'm also a general Whedonite.  I've done a little pen and paper role playing in my time, as well.

Which brings us nicely back to this website!  I decided to throw myself into the Druid class.  I'm big into nature, I love hunting and fishing, but really it is my training in hypnosis and interest in the general power of the mind's potential that I think puts me more into this category.  I love working in the subconscious as much as I enjoy tweaking my diet and weight training.  When money allows, I am also planning on getting my butt back on the jiujitsu mats.  So maybe a monk/druid hybrization is in order? 

Anyway, I think this website is an AWESOME idea.  I love the concept, and I'm looking forward to aiding the rebel cause however I can!

Welcome to the rebellion.  I don't think I've come across anyone on here yet who's into hypnotism, that's pretty interesting.  Based on your post, I'd say go join the druids till the jiujitsu thing works out. What are some of your fitness goals?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

One of my big goals is to go from never having trained pull ups before to doing 3 sets of 15, sub goals within that of course.  Do 5, do 10, etc.  I haven't put a time frame on it yet as I'm still looking for a way to actually do pull ups here.  I'm considering one of the door frame pull up bars, but as the house I live in is not mine I'd have to be sure it wouldn't do any damage to the door frames.

A big part of this is I want to bring up my energy level overall so I have more resources to throw at all the goals I do have even outside of the fitness and vanity thing (I am definitely doing this to look good as well as feel good).  I have some big ambitions at work that I am going to need more oomph to make happen, and I'm seeing improvements there already.

Regarding the actual pull up bar itself, you've got a couple options. If you're set on using a door frame model, the Iron Gym model doesn't really do anything to the frame that I can tell, aside from leaving a black smudge in the paint over time.

Granted, if you want to eventually graduate into explosive work, you're going to need a set up that doesn't end with you putting your head through the ceiling, or pulling the frame off the wall. I don't really know what cheap home set up would make that happen. Your best bet is probably to go looking at the parks around where you live and seeing what kind of bar setups they have. Ideally, you find something you can use as a pull up bar, and something that you can use for dips, and you should be set.

Of course, you could just go to a gym, but part of the reason for calisthenics is to get your work out on on the cheap, so.

"I'm also a general Whedonite."

Nothing wrong with that...  Browncoats unite!

Welcome aboard.  I'm pretty new too, and have found the community here to be pretty awesome.  It definitely sounds like you know what you want to do, and an idea of how to get there.  That alone will help you greatly in being successful.  Good luck to you in your goals and don't be afraid to let us know if you need a little support.

None but a coward dares to boast that he has never known fear.   

-Ferdinand Foch

Archived